Gun control is not the American way!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Moose Holland, Jun 3, 2022.

1. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    No, but I am used to outsiders trying to tell us how to run our town.

You can say the earth is flat, but that doesn't make it so.

The Wood West wasn't like the movies, but gun control was prevalent. Look up the Texas Cattle Association minutes from 1882. They barred their members from carrying pistols. Or take a run through the historical gun law repository- most states and town's put laws on the books restricting carrying weapons.

Yeah, it's a poorly written article, but I didn't want to go spelunking because I know it won't be read. And yes, not all of it would work here, but what we're doing right now isn't working either.

Fair thoughts, but look at how many drivers on this forum are opposed to under 21s driving a cmv across state lines. If they're not mature enough to handle a cms, why are they mature enough to own a weapon? Same question, but with booze.

As for the carrying provision, I didn't state it clearly. The idea is you can transport it foir legitimate activities but not just for giggles. A person would also need to go straight there and back - ie no stops at the outlet mall.

The thing about walking around armed is another party cannot tell your intentions. I cannot link the article because it's behind a pay wall, but about 4 years ago two young 'men' decided to test their open carry right in Beaver Dam. Long guns of some time, tactical looking vests, etc. They walked across Wayland Academy's campus and were walking in the direction of the local high school when someone called the cops. The two young 'men' were indignat that officers rooled up on them hard and heavy. How would any reasonable person not a suspect they were about to shoot something up?

You've stated that a gun dealers coached you on how to fill out the paperwork to avoid red flags, and now said that you don't like associating with the type of people who go to gun ranges. The two statements to me indicate we have a gun problem. It's one problem of many, but there are a lot of common sense ideas that are backed up by empirical data that over 70% of the country agree on. But anytime anyone tries to imp,ent common sense solutions the gun fetishists shoot "they're coming for your guns!".

bryan21384 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Both are true. What I don't like about the gun ranges- we have two ranges near my house that are run by the PA game commission. They're supposed to be used for target practice, sighting in rifles, and teaching young hunters to shoot safely and properly. You either need a valid hunting license, or a range permit to shoot there.

The issue I have with all this is we get a bunch of tool bags from the city up there, shooting stuff never built for hunting wild game. They don't show any consideration for those there trying to teach a young person how to handle a gun. I'm trying to sight my rifle in, and all I hear is some idiot over there at the pistol range with his Glock unloading clip after clip, never trying to actually hit their target. Or some idiot with their AR doing the same. Just wasting ammo. And I get it. It's fun to go let loose with an AR or a Glock once in a while. But there's a time and place for it. And that's not when someone is there for an actual purpose. So I've learned to avoid such places, I'm much happier at my uncle's farm shooting into a dirt pile.

There's two totally different crowds of gun owners. Those that use them for hunting and recreational shooting. Then there's those that have a small arsenal to prepare for the next Civil war, they don't hunt or do anything meaningful. Usually you'll see them at some gun rally walking dressed in their tactical gear, with numerous magazines strapped to themselves. Think Kyle Rittenhouse. I hate to use him as an example, but the fact is he shouldn't have been there in the first place. And parading around with an AR and all the garb, what the hell did he think would happen? These are the clowns that give ALL law abiding gun owners a black eye, and the ones the politicians see when they speak of gun control. They think EVERY gun owner acts this way, and they get in front of a microphone and spew some nonsense in order to get re-elected. And that's why whenever someone proposes any restrictions on guns, those of us that are law abiding citizens get a bit antsy. I think most, if not all, feel the good guys are being punished for the actions of a few nutcases. That's why the NRA is such a joke. They run around screaming and stoking fear into their members.

Until people in power grow up and start doing what it is they're supposed to be doing, I doubt anything changes. I know I'm not OK with the status quo. But most of the alternatives are not too appealing, either.

Guess I got on a tangent there.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Moose Holland

Moose Holland Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2020
    I would rather defend myself with a gun than a knife when SHTF. I would rather die with a gun in my hands fighting than get killed unarmed. How is a Remington pump for a "baseball bat"!

5. Moose Holland

Moose Holland Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2020
    What does age even have to do with it? 17-year old Americans can be sent to die in a war. Carry only to the range? I will only get attacked by dangerous criminals to and from the range, you mean, are you a d@mm fool?

The only "gun law" I know on the books is The Second Amendment.

6. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    New Zealand is run by a hard core female Communist.

201 Thanks this.
  7. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017

Unless it gets changed. Then what?

8. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
  9. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I think we should give teachers guns. Murica lol

10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    ZVar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.