Gun control is not the American way!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Moose Holland, Jun 3, 2022.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I gotta say this.

growing up where I grew up we use to play with home made fireworks. 10 years ago I realized it was a home made bomb that we as kids were actually playing with. 3 components and every kid I knew would make it. Take away one tool you’ll find replacements fast if you want to accomplish something. It might be crude but it will still get the job done.

Almost every single one of these mass shooters has a family issue.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    The great thing about America is you can choose to live in a blue state like New York or California who have very strong gun control or you can live in a red state like Missouri that has a shall not infringe law that does not allow state and local police to inforce federal gun laws.

4. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Same. You’ll never see a truck full of money going without at least two armed guards so why not a school. That being said, when an 18 year old who walks in to buy two rifles the same on his birthday there should definitely be a red flag.

5. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Guns aren't going away. There's an estimated 400,000,000 guns in America. We have 40% of the guns on the entire planet. I wish it were more. Guns have hardly changed in the last fifty years, but the number of shootings has. If there is a gun problem now, then why wasn't there a gun problem then?

Find another way.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
  6. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I don't know where such schools are located. Certainly not in my little corner of the world. I don't think the State of Pennsyltucky allows armed security in schools. And around here, if there's something happening, the State Police are a good 20 minutes away. More than enough time for some nutjob to inflict some serious harm.

They can do all the studies they want on such things. But I'd be more than willing to bet that if there were 2 armed security guards for every entry point in a school, it might give pause to any idiot thinking of doing something stupid. Whether it be knives, bombs, guns or whatever.

Hell even metal detectors would be of some assistance.

Look at the security surrounding our idiots in Congress and at the White House. Haven't heard of a shooting in the capital building in a long time.
    Again, we can send $50 billion to a country across the pond for security, but we can't secure our schools???? It ludicrous.

7. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    I agree 100%.

Couple years ago, I went to a well known sporting goods store that no longer sells certain guns. I was buying a deer rifle. I was filling out the background check forms while the salesperson was looking over my shoulder telling me how fill out the form. He said, and I quote "if you do that it will throw up red flags and you'll be waiting longer, so do it my way and you'll be fine"

I have nothing to hide. I'm not worried about any background checks. But it goes to show there are some out there that don't give a flip. Suppose I was a criminal, and I wanted to do some harm. I walked right out of that store with everything I needed. And I could have gone a done something. But, I bought the gun legally.

I do support tougher background checks on all gun purchases. It won't solve all the problems, but it would be a step in the right direction

8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Any school I ever attended never had any locked doors. No armed guards, searches, metal detectors etc.

Worst thing that ever happened was some kid threw a chair at another kid one time.

9. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I must quibble with your # of shooting:gun ratio problem.

I beleive data supports a much higher level of violent crime pre-1990 both with and without guns. What has changed is publicity and locale, a school because of its location will of course command higher attention.
    Scale and intent is another question , indiscriminate killing is up, that is for sure, as well as volume at a shooting, in the "good old days" it seems much higher # of shootings, but almost always that was highly restricted to a few individuals involved for pretty understandable if avoidable reasons.

School shootings vary a bit, theres the manifesto twits (literal terrorists)

The psychopath with poor impulse control

The depressed or inadequate kid who is expressing their helplessness and attempting to control things around them.

You cant do much about the middle one, the first one... thats thornier, but addressable... maybe

The last one though... thats entirely an act of despair and is a specific type of person's response to underlying conditions that plague the nation at large, its essentially the conditions that create the narcotics epidemic and suicide rate in adults.

10. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    So what has changed since the 60's
    Video games that desensitized boys from killing.
    Giving Adderall to boys who can't sit still.
    Removing the father from families.
    Removing GOD from the school.
    Feel free to add to this.

11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Erie pa. 2002, central high school most assuredly did have armed guards there, and they were glorified rentacops that everyone that went there resented and basically taught them uniforms were a way of controllng you. Not to protect. Fast forward to the blm stuff, remember "acab" ? Yeah, theres your problem, armed security is a long term destabilizing indoctrination of kids into hating and distrusting police.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.