Gun control is not the American way!

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Moose Holland, Jun 3, 2022.

1. Moose Holland

Moose Holland Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2020
    More mass shootings in America, you say? Ok, even if that is really the case, then we still need more good citizens on our streets with guns. You can't deny at least two Texas church shootings in progress that were successfully thwarted by armed citizens.

Ok, then let's forget about the rest of the world for a moment. Regardless of what the rest of the world does or doesn't do, more anti-gun laws on American soil is not going to make Americans any "safer" on American soil. Ice igloos work well for Eskimos in Alaska but not for bushmen in Africa for shelter. There is no one global solution for crime everywhere just as there is no one universal human shelter solution.

You also can't deny that most such shootings on American soil happened in so-called "gun free" zones and in most cases, the shooters lawfully obtained the guns from FFL gun dealers through background checks. Some even happened in Red Flag areas all the good those areas did.

Trying to stop "gun crime" through "gun control" is like trying to pour gasoline on a fire to put it out. You fight fire with fire: good people with guns to shoot back at bad people with guns.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    We are not Europe.

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Cant argue sense with them….

5. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Obviously. Lol

6. MacLean

MacLean Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    I agree with you. We need to start giving every elementary kid an AR to take to school (smaller in size of course) and every teacher an AK with a 60 round clip. If every single person in the country is walking the streets carrying a weapon then there should be zero shootings. It’s just common sense.

mpd240, chimbotano and Cat sdp Thank this.
  7. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    Everyone is distracted. All want to argue over the tool. Not the cause.

I would wager the uptick will likely coincide with the advent of social media. Much akin to the uptick in extreme tribalism in political views/factions.

For us older folk, think about our pre internet child hoods. We went outside and played. Interracted with a real physical and emotional world. We played with REAL friends. We suffered REAL TIME consequences should our egoes over run our abilities. We failed and learned and corrected. We succeeded and got REAL feedback. We put ourselves out there emotionally.....shared with , again, REAL FRIENDS, face to face, dreams, fears, failures, successes, advice. We had REAL relationships with partners. Face to face.

All that leads to building functional people.

Kids today for past 2-3 generations have been convinced to stay inside because it's "easier, safer" . They go online to fill the void of social experiences where folks get addicted to drama.. and fear of the possibility of it becoming reality.

As kids us older folks that got bullied were able to go home, de compress and strategise how to handle it or tslk to mentors to help cope or deal with it. Worst case could even move to a different neighborhood to start fresh. Kids and adults now days don't have that option. The drama follows them 24/7 due to social media and internet access. No chance to decompress.

All that leads to emotionally jacked up people that will and do have breakdowns. It does not allow for young folks to have a meaningful up bringing from all the good and bad experiences to build themselves into great people.

8. Munch75

Munch75 Light Load Member

Aug 29, 2021
    Great example is I would like to see a study of correlation between metro/suburban backgrounds in shootings versus Rural/farm Kids. Then break it down further by families stances on internet access.

A lot of successful people restrict online access for their kids. A lot of rural and farm kids dont have good access or time to waste on internet. I would wager both categories have the smallest ...if any.... representation in shooting statistics.

9. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    A man's gun is his property, not the carrier's, not the shippers' or consignees', and definitely not the states'.

The right to defend one's life supercedes the right to control one's private property.

10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    The solutions are simple.
    • Background check
    • required annual training
    • required title transfers for guns
    • "duty of care" for firearm owners - ie the 'own' the results of every round that leaves the weapon
    • when gun dealers (see Badger Guns) get caught breaking the law, their license needs to be revoked
    • If a person wants to carry, they must have liability insurance. I'd like to see a $1,000,000 minimum (basically 10 years wages)
    It's not going to fix it all, but it's a start. You'll notice that no where on the list is the word "ban". I'll also point out that the NRA was in favor of all of these things before 1960.

I'm not talking welfare. I'm talking about education and mentoring programs. Once crime and violence rates start dropping, so does funding for the programs responsible.

You'll get no argument from me that schools and school districts need to be smaller, but that's not going to happen. You'll also get no argument from me that teachers and para-profesionials (including SROs) need to be held to a higher standard. Every school employee is already subject to background checks, but SROs are not typically required to have ANY educational training. They approach interactions with students the same way they approach any other situation - assume the kid is a criminal that needs to be punished. And that's what tends to happen when we put cops in schools. The school doesn't become safer. Putting more caring individuals in it does make a school safer.

But say, for the sake of argument, hardening the school would stop school shootings inside the building. It still wouldn't end the violence. It just moves it to another location, say the little league field, or it happens at the end of day when the kids are outside.

No, but all the reasons the member listed for mass shootings also exist in Europe, so they are not the cause of mass shootings.

The problem is that it's really hard to do studies on gun violence. Most independent researchers struggle to get funding because of the Dickey Amendment. Not only did it freeze federal money, it also made department heads and deans wary of supporting gun violence research as it could jeopardize other programs.

mpd240 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.