Hackers Taking Control

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Grouch, Mar 22, 2024.

1. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    Flat Earth Trucker and Cat sdp Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turdzthaword

Turdzthaword Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2020
    I understand how the malware ELD hackers would be able to take control of the logging system, but not the semi. The article doesn't even expound on how the experts came to that conclusion. Anybody else substantially concerned about hackers controlling their semi? My joint don't drive itself

peterd, MACK E-6 and Kyle G. Thank this.
  4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    If the hackers get into the ELD, the truck won't move, no? Besides, what's to gain there, the trucks run into each other anyway.

Tall Mike Thanks this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The truck could still move, just potentially not legally.

This is definitely a real possibility, but not much to gain from it other than screwing with one person unless the hacker attacks an entire ELD service.

Tall Mike, Grumppy, 201 and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. Turdzthaword

Turdzthaword Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2020
    If the hackers get into the ELD the truck won't move? My logging device is a mobile device app that I can control from any smart device. When the program is on the fritz, I'll just run paper logs. I still don't understand what the hacking of the ELD has to do with controlling the movement of the semi.

peterd and 201 Thank this.
  7. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    I stand to be corrected on this, but the ELD on your truck connects to the computer on your truck. Basically, the computer on the truck controls whatever device connects to it, the ELD is basically a tablet mounted on the dash of the truck and if you have it on your phone, it is the computer on the truck that is telling your phone or the ELD on the dash exactly what to record.
    Let me add and again I might be wrong, but if the computer on a truck becomes infected with Malware or a Virus, it is possible the truck will shut down or run erratic.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    201 Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, on my TV I can mirror my portable devices to it through the WIFI so what’s on the tablet screen shows on the TV, but it doesn’t work the other way around.

I’m thinking maybe the connection between truck and ELD is also a one-way street, so to speak, with the ELD only reading and receiving from the truck.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  9. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    That is my thought, but when it comes to electronics, I am way out in left field.

Oxbow, Sons Hero and 201 Thank this.
  10. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    If hackers get control of the ELD, you can bet your phone apps will be worthless as well. And it's not just truck ELDs they are after, complete chaos is possible, and even if you have a BC Cummins and paper logs, still needs fuel, dispatch, billing, pay, LEOs, health, the freakin' hospitals RUN on computers, it could indeed affect you.

ccbg2013 Thanks this.
  11. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    The ELD just reads info from the trucks electronic computer module (ECM). The truck ECM doesn't send anything to the ELD. The trucks ECM doesn't have any control over the ELD. The ELD simply connects to, and reads the data from the ECM. As well, the ELD doesn't send info to the ECM. Neither "sends" data either way. Again, the ELD simply reads data from the ECM's data base.

Having said all of that, could there potentially be a take over of the trucks ECM from the ELD? Possibly. There are a lot smarter people out there than me in the IT world, but again, the ELD doesn't SEND info TO the ECM. It doesn't send info. However there is a connection so, I wont say some hackers wouldn't have some intelligence to follow the path back but, without a way to SEND the data from the ELD to the ECM, its not generally, likely for a hacker to hijack the ELD & send info to the ECM to take over the trucks controls.

I'm not the guru on this but, in general terms its not possible. Technically I suppose with the right technology & the right IT knowledge, it could happen technically, scientifically & theoretically.

I welcome any corrections to any incorrect info.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.