Half way through transport school and it sucks! The reality of my trucking school experience.

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by JJRigger, May 31, 2017.

1. JJRigger

JJRigger Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2017
    What do you mean it happened in BC?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    Right from the TTCC website.

Unfortunately, it is common practise for some trucking schools (even car driving schools) to “fast track” you through the training and present you for your license before completing all your hours. Shady trainers will tell you how good you are and how impressed they are with your natural abilities and push you to get your license without getting all your hours. They don’t offer to give you a refund for the hours not used neither. You need all the training you can get. If you are a great driver with only a few hours of training, you will be an amazing driver if you complete all the hours that were promised. Whatever school you choose to attend, make sure you get everything that you were promised.

4. JJRigger

Mar 6, 2017
    Oh they make up for the hours. But what I'm so miffed about is the quality of training offered. Like as a new student most ppl wont understand how many hours it takes to become good at driving or the fact you have to memorize roughly +100 things for your circle check / air breaks and drop and hook.

Why they offer all this in a six week course is beyond me. In my opinion transport schools should be at least 10 week courses if they are letting anyone in. Remember they except literally anyone. The whole verbal barrage of trucking info and bad training at the beginning is fine if the course is longer....i guess lol. im to tired to write more right now.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  5. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    It is what it is I guess. They're prepping you to pass the test, nothing more. If they find that can be accomplished in six then six weeks it will be.

It was 5 weeks when I took it. One week in the class room and then 60 hours one on one with a driver trainer. 3 hours a day, 5 days a week for 4 weeks.

I would have preferred 6 hours a day instead of 3, cut it down to two weeks. I just wanted to get out there. :)

The instructor we had in the class room was excellent. The guy I had for the driving part I would rate pretty good too.

If your trainer sucks you're not getting everything that you were promised.

Just remember why you're there, to get the licence. The real learning comes later and the learning never ends.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. tinytim

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I guess that's why they call me once a year or so offering me a job, lol.

I think they go through a lot of driver trainers, guys just want to get off the road a while I guess.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  7. doireann

doireann Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Omg I am week 8 into a 10 week course and still don't feel comfortable enough to take the test. Our teachers are great. The first 4 weeks we were in the classroom and did PM also. The last 4 weeks we have been in the yard with 4 teachers ; there are 6 students in our class. The first day in the yard, we were bobtailing on the street, then the next day we were doing straight line backing. We have been on the street a few times with the trailer also. Two guys are good enough to take the test tomorrow. All our teachers were drivers at the bigger companies and are teaching for a few years now.

8. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    I take my license test day after tomorrow, I think I'm ready but I share a lot of the concerns of JJ. They just started a new curriculum so for the first 2 weeks there was a lot of confusion and a few things weren't covered at all. The driving simulator is ok but it takes more time than they have for everyone to use it and achieve the goals the school sets, once you start driving there is no point in going back on it. The simulator is a video game and it seemed that if a person drove a truck at all before using it they had the most trouble. The variety or personalities of instructors varies thats for sure but none were as unprofessional as JJ's alcoholic.
    I found my own impatience and self doubt to be the breakers, I'm 59 and I thought maybe I was past the learning curve but by the last day of driving I felt pretty good. I don't expect these schools to do much more than get you a license as well from speaking to many recruiters they see a lot of EI and other program students who are unmotivated never get their licenses. There were 3 guys for the first 2 weeks then 1 went back to Chatham for his driving Myself and the other guy who stayed both paid for our courses our selves, in fact when a recruiter came to our class she said she could spot who wasn't going to make it and pointed out about the EI students which sort of got the dander up of the fellow on EI. I do think they are too expensive but the other school in town is even more and they use automatics, we had 13spds. As far as learning the pretrip inspections and coupling-uncoupling a person has to study at home just like in a real school.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will never stop learning.

You need to hold on to the Manuals. Here in the States they apply a restriction for those who do not learn manuals.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  10. JJRigger

Mar 6, 2017
    Whatever the school is an assembly line. The instructors constantly get frustrated/mad and dont teach...the simulator sucks and "barely" resembles a truck driving experience. They also dont really train you on it. Your gonna be praying to get time on it with proper training. Most students just come in and work the thing themselves and "hope" they learn it. Don't choose the school just for that. Its a wing and a prayer if you learn the double clutching process by the time you get into a truck. I had my midterm examination due the instructor still didn't know what to do. They blame it on the new MELT program... in Ontario Melt stands for Mandatory Entry-Level Training.

They do make up the hours that you miss due to the curriculum. I'd be surprised if you even knew that it was hours your judged on by the way they run things...its so all over the place and barely explained to you. Growing up in Ontario your told at a young age that everything is run by organized crime so maybe thats what it is. Or this person with wide set eyes they call reptilian. I know that sounds crazy but if you went to a Canadian high school here thats what they say organize crime is. Ppl with reptilian brains with no emotion.

You definitely get that feeling being here in any private school you choose. They cant teach for sh** and just throw information at you and expect you to shut up. The first trainer i had said release the clutch after the brake is out and take off in 3rd. Now the new Dero trainer wants me to "feel" the truck tug a bit before i release the brake and always take off in 2nd which is constantly causing me to stall. When i say dero it just means a person who like constantly messes with you. Which is what they do at this place. He's sitting there telling me how frustrating it is for him when i f*** up. Oh really buddy? Its frustrating for me to take out a $10,000.00 loan to learn from sh**ty trainers.

Especially when the first one was hungover or drunk for my first two days of training. Im on my last week and still dont think i'll pass my MTO driving test. Someone take me to a country where this garbage doesn't go on. Bottom line if they offer this course to ppl with no backgrounds in trucking it should be at least 8-10 weeks long and extremely structured. Not this all over the place crap. If you want something in short to describe your experience at these places. Its just a verbal barrage of information that gets thrown at you and its up to you to make sense of it.

If you are in absolute dire straits ask them to schedule your road test a few weeks after you have finished the program. it will give you time to study your manuals. Most regular students will be to tired after they get home at nights to do a lot of the reading required. Driving with these reprobate trainers is extremely stressful because they are constantly barking and shouting at you. It takes a toll on your mind and body...so dont get down on yourself if your to tired to study at the end of the day. One of the biggest questions you will ask yourself throughout your experience with these schools is what trucking school isn't like this? Cuz your gonna think you chose the wrong school. But honestly from my research they are all like this. Stay strong my new fellow drivers. Also backing up and downshifting is a real b**ch lol.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  11. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    No surprises here. The truck training schools are manned by people from the trucking industry that come from the same culture the rest of us have experienced for over thirty years.
    That being there is no training in the trucking industry. Everything they through at you, they just say use this or do that. You ask how, they just say, "you'll figure it out".
    So you're in school, they just through stuff at you and think, "he'll figure it out"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.