Hammer GPS fails to provide "Truck Safe Route"

Discussion in 'HAMMER: Truck Optimized GPS App | Support Forum' started by TaterWagon#62, Apr 17, 2021.

1. TaterWagon#62

TaterWagon#62 Medium Load Member

Oct 15, 2016
    WNY
    I have been using Hammer GPS for some time and it has been mostly useful. It has had some odd quirks (It will refuse to route through Penfield, NY unless you put a stop in the middle of the village, for example.) But it is mostly helpful.

I have been using it on an old Samsung Galaxy S5 with the maps I need downloaded to the device. The phone had no data and only updated on wifi when I got home. It worked very well but it died a couple weeks ago and I replaced it with a Moto G7.

Oddly, I now cannot get any truck routing unless I am on wifi when I calculate the route. If I try to calculate a route when I am in the truck (without data) it warns me that it is "unable to calculate a truck route because (blank)" and it will provide a car route. (It does not give a reason - the area after because is just blank.)

I have reinstalled the app and redownloaded the maps. I have created saved routes for the areas and runs while on wifi (hoping that would give it the data it was lacking). I can see restrictions on the map data as I navigate, but I am not getting that calculated for my routing.

Did something dramatically change in how Hammer works? Do I really nave to have data to generate routing now (I didn't three weeks ago)?

Any assistance gratefully accepted. Let me know if you need more details.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Reason for edit: Clarification.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Go to your settings and check if it’s allowing mobile data to be used for the app. I don’t use that app myself but sometimes phones block apps from using mobile data to save your internet usage.

4. TaterWagon#62

Oct 15, 2016
    WNY
    I checked the data settings, and it has permission to use data.

But I don't have data on the phone. Not even a SIM card. It only gets data when I get home and it latches onto my wifi.

5. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    Maybe try hot spotting it to your cell phone for a few minutes and see if it will sort itself out

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  6. TaterWagon#62

Oct 15, 2016
    WNY
    Sitting here at my desk I can set up a route and it will work perfectly because it is on wifi. Turn off the wifi and it just can't generate a "truck safe" route for the same route.

NavigatorWife and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  7. Adele Allison

Adele Allison Bobtail Member HAMMER Support

Oct 7, 2020
    HI @TaterWagon#62 I would like to assist you with and investigate the issue you are having with offline maps. Can you please send our Support Team an email at support@hammerapp.com so we can gather some more information.

8. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Hi Adele, I am trying to find Hammer Truck GPS on the Google store but it won't pop up. I am using an old Galaxy Tab. When I go into the play store, it only shows 3 or 4 options for a truck gps, even though I specifically typed in the Hammer. Do you know what is going on?

9. Rory Fullerton

Rory Fullerton Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2021
    Hello, thanks for reaching out. The Hammer Application requires Android version 6.0 and higher to operate. Unfortunately your device is running on a non-supported version, apologies for the inconvenience. Regards, Rory with the Hammer Team!

gekko1323 Thanks this.
  10. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Yes, my old device is running 4.4 or something like that. Thank you for your reply.

11. HaglerFan

HaglerFan Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I've tried HAMMER app, it's been horrible, 1/2 time it won't recognize an address that's been properly entered, other times routing me longer distance than necessary.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.