Handicapped truck drivers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Eowyn, Jun 20, 2021.

1. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    "You go NOW! You here FOUR HOUR!!"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    youarecorrect.jpg

TheLoadOut, Coffey and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Some days I have trouble walking. I have to stop halfway, wait a minute, then I’m good. Much worse when carrying anything. Peripheral artery disease I’m told. Some disabilities aren’t apparent. A friend of mine has bad knees, along with a list of other back, neck, hip problems. When I first met him, I joked he didn’t need a handicap spot. He lifted his pant legs, right knee was twice the size of his left. I felt like a real idiot. Lol. You never know. I support the disabilities act. No reason someone cant get out and about. Another friend of mine, has been wheelchair bound since 20 yrs old. Got shot in the back. He was very athletic, has since won numerous water skiing events. Using leg braces. He’s amazing.

5. trucknguy

trucknguy Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West coast
    My issue isn’t whether the disability is apparent or not, obviously many would not be. My question is why the fuss over push, pull, lift tests, sleep apnea etc. Why can’t we all just get an exemption? Why have the basis for a physical and excuse some things and not others?

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The question is whether the disability interferes with Driving a Truck. There is a list of disqualifying conditions. Insulin dependent Diabetes, Seizures, blindness. To name a few. Passing a physical with restrictions is a common thing. Especially now that the average Drivers age is at an all time high. I was shocked the first time I saw a handicapped parking spot at the Truckstop. A little thought though, it makes perfectly good sense. Now. that I’m getting older, crystal clear. Lol. Doing Laundry, for instance requires a drop off at the door. Doesn’t keep me from Driving.

Eowyn, staceydude and 88 Alpha Thank this.
  7. staceydude

staceydude Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2020
    Some find a way to b453h and moan about anything. Someone out earning a living parking in handicap spot vs the 25 year old punk parking in no spot as close to the Truckstop as possible.

Right now we have folks from the military who have suffered injuries that you may not see and driving trucks, no one of any age should have to get the dirty scowl if they park in handicap. Trust me most would trade their health for that spot.

I am not saying you are OP. But I have seen the topic come up recently. I just need to realize some can not occupy minds with more positive thoughts so they lean towards finding things to complain about.

I don’t even give it a second thought who is parking in them, although I do respect those who could be collecting disability working a job.
    I park as far away from the door as I can. My getting old out of shape azzz needs to walk.

Val_Caldera, InTooDeep and Eowyn Thank this.
  8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Emphysema - usually from heavy smoking. I've known several drivers that have it. Some get out of breath walking to the back of the trailer.
    I quit smoking a long time ago because of seeing people like that. My lungs are clear now, just as if I never smoked. I coughed up a lot of junk though for about a month. Some that quit, never have clean lungs again though. It's a wonder those 3 packs a day didn't do permanent damage.

Val_Caldera, Lostmykey and Eowyn Thank this.
  9. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    I think this is topic is pertinent because being on the road for many years I have been in situations and have seen others that don’t want to be in situations that we can not help but be in those situations.

MTN Boomer Thanks this.
  10. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    I would also like to say that I prefer to park in the back, but sometimes because I drive team with my husband and mostly drive at night. I have taken handicapped spaces in order to not park in the fuel aisle. Maybe I should be better.

11. Eowyn

Eowyn Medium Load Member

Jul 5, 2016
    TN
    How do they pass the physical? If they can’t even walk to close a door.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.