Harbor freight generator and stand up AC unit installation.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 77fib77, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I had same idea only with an elbow at top.

PE_T, Scottyotty1 and Tug Toy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lilillill

lilillill Sarcasm... it's not just for breakfast

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    I did have an elbow at the top but then it was causing the fumes to blow on any truck next to me. I didn't want to take a chance that somebody next to me would have their upper bunk window open.

PE_T, Scottyotty1, Tug Toy and 2 others Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    We slept with vents open a while back, meanwhile a Truck parked next to us. It smelled so bad, like the apu was running on propane. I ran my 2200 w generator on catwalk, never noticed it, but probably not a good idea . I like your set up, good idea. I bet it’s quieter too.

5. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    It is super quiet. In fact, it's so quiet that I've forgot about it, left it running and then took off down the road. I lost my cover yesterday, lol.

A couple of different times, my carbon monoxide detector went off before I put the exhaust pipe on it. I didn't realize there are vent holes on a Volvo, all under the edges of the sleeper. So any time the wind would blow the wrong way, I'd wake up to "BEEEEEEEEEEEP!!! WARNING, CARBON MONOXIDE!" It got as high as 250ppm in the sleeper in just a few minutes one time.

PE_T, Tug Toy, Rideandrepair and 2 others Thank this.
  6. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    No disrespect intended or looking down at anyone .
    I went the generater / window unit route on my last truck and it was kind fun to play with and think I have pics on another thread of it and had less than 1000.000 into it and it saved alot of fuel .
    This will get you by but I dont miss dealing with gas , fumes , cords , the window unit etc .
    It's nice to just push a button on my carrier now .

7. lilillill

Nov 7, 2007
    Possum Booger, Alabama
    No window unit to deal with on mine. Getting gas kind of sucks but I looked for a small diesel generator and the only one I found was crazy loud.

Once I put a remote start on it, I won't have to get out of the truck except to put gas in it, and I usually do that when I'm fueling the truck.

The other thing that's kind of a pain is oil changes. It's supposed to be done every 100 hours but at 13 to 15 hours a day of use, it rolls around pretty quick. I went 200 hours on the last one... I don't think it'll much matter.

PE_T, Rideandrepair and bzinger Thank this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I had a 4000 watt remote electric start unit and ran synthetic oil in it and 150 hour drains .
    Can't remember the name but it was yellow .
    Pulled it off the truck at 500 hours to adjust the valves and was clean as whistle ...brushes were barely worn .
    Replaced the spark plug .
    Had 1200 hrs on it when I sold the truck and still ran perfect .
    Ohhhh it was a champion .
    People laughed at me and said it wouldn't last 300 hours lol .
    It's still running today occasionally.

9. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    It is sweet,, like those orange seatbelts too. Got pulled over once cause copper thought I didn't have a belt on against my gray hoodie.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Nope an engineer in another life,, the jack found that at an auction, paid 5 bucks.

Scottyotty1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Napa sells 1" flexible exhaust tubing for like $1.40 a foot or something. That's what I have on mine.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.