Hard break pedal

Discussion in 'Questions To Truckers From The General Public' started by Marcus P, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Marcus P

Marcus P Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2020
    I have a 1998 international 9200 and I let it sit for a few months and now my break pedal is extremely hard. I can't press them at all. Is there anything I could do to avoid spending money at a shop or should I take it to a shop to get fixed?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    It’s most likely the plunger in the foot valve is seized up. You can try pb blaster or similar to free it up. I wouldn’t trust it unless it breaks loose easily. Depending on how it’s mounted they can be a pain to replace.
    @Heavyd @spsauerland @pushbroom may have some other ideas.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Those older brake pedals are fairly common. Should not be too difficult to free up or replace at shop.

Its really important to have it working right. Lives depend on it without saying.

5. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Spray with a good penetrant. Work it in by trying to move it up and down over and over and hopefully it frees up.

062 Thanks this.
  6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Myself I'd just change the treadle valve. If the rubber seals are hard enough to cause the plunger to stick its probably on its last legs anyways.

To me, brakes are one of the most important things on a vehicle. I wouldn't skimp on them.

Cowboyrich and 062 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.