Hard copy CDL at completion of School?

Discussion in 'CRST' started by Steampunk, Aug 17, 2013.

  1. 123456

    123456 Road Train Member

    Oct 22, 2010
    I sure see alot of dac reports with unhirable on them.....

  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. roadlt

    roadlt Medium Load Member

    Apr 27, 2013
    Hughson, California
    so how does it work. I know it isn't a provisional license. There is a catch in there, but, not sure how it works. Something about a chance of being retested again by Or they can retest you within a certain time frame.
  4. Steampunk

    Steampunk Bobtail Member

    Jul 18, 2013
    Well, you get your CDL from the state. The school is a community college. The trucking company is simply paying for your schooling and some other expenses.
  5. rockstar_nj

    rockstar_nj Medium Load Member

    Apr 26, 2013
    Cape May Court House, NJ
    You get your license. But if you do it in Iowa, for some reason, their DMV doesn't print a plastic license. You get a temprary paper license that everywhere you go they're going to tell you they don't accept photocopies and you have to explain how that's actually a real driver's license and not a copy. It's good for 30 days (that's the deal the DMV made with the college), after your Iowa license is expired. So in that time, you have to transfer your license to your state, which can be hard since a lot of them want proof of address and stuff like that, which you can bring with you... But then some states won't accept the temporary license and you need your plastic license. Which will be borderline impossible to get if you don't live near somewhere CRST ships to. Then if you're me, the one day you FINALLY make it back to get your plastic license, on the last day your Iowa license is valid, the night before, a smoke alarm goes off in one of the buildings that house the DMV network computers, and the entire DMV network in your state is down the entire day, and you have to go back the next day.

    CRST can't hold your license. They CAN stop the school from releasing proof you went there, or even acknowledging that they know you. Not sure how their contract setup to do that is legal (the one with you, and the one with the school each have different times that the school will be paid off). So you'll never get your certificate for finishing the class, but you have to get your license, nobody but the DMV or the court/police depending on your state, can just take that away from you.
    25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  6. 25(2)+2

    25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

    Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You don't get the certificate of completion until you work there the required time to satisfy the contract, the CDL is issued for however long they will grant it, 5 years at this point. At least in Iowa.

    Even if you pay it off, if you didn't work there long enough, they won't give you a certificate.At least they wouldn't give my wife a certificate.

    I think they can mark a DAC report in this way, a line on it says eligible for rehire? and the answer can be yes or no. I have never had a reason to see one, so far. The main company, of which my company is a subsidiary, now uses Hire Right to verify eligibility for employment.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted