Hard time resigning, won't listen or get me home.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by jearbear89, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Western flyer

Western flyer Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2014
    First mistake!
    Telling them your quitting while on the road.
    Always do that after you cleaned out your truck.
    Youll never make that mistake again.

You're gonna have to get nasty now.
    Or keep getting abused.
    That how this game works.

Mattflat362 and TheyCallMeDave Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You quit.

At that moment. Everything is ALL STOP. DONE. DOT. Final.

The work will continue there without you. You go home. Find something else to get into.

Anything else becomes a paradox of a bad divorce that never ends.

Always quit with truck in yard after it's cleaned out. Tell them nothing at all until it's done.

When I quit, I turn in the keys, fuel cards etc and go. Ive got either my personal car ready or a rental arranged. The payroll will just have to cut a final check in due time.

In the past when I left companies they tried to interview me which is not a interview at all. Just a one way recitation of bad things committed from my driver folder. There is no point. Quit and go.

Usually when you quit a job without cause you do not get unemployment. But if you did quit for cause, usually there is documentation. Just be prepared to be blacklisted etc if you win that with your home state.

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Well, you must be a highly valued driver if they don't want to make it easy for you to quit. Maybe pressure them for more money. Otherwise, if you're bound and determined to quit, be patient. Go home like you normally would. Clean all all but a few essentials, have some substantial cash or credit card ready when you go back out, then start looking for any opportunity to get through the yard or a terminal. When you're there and you're still sure you're going to quit, maybe put your remaining stuff in a box and ship it home before you get to the terminal, take a cab if you need to. Then go to the yard and ask to visit with the terminal manager and tell them you're quitting. Let them try and woo you back if you want, see what they offer, but be prepared to get a return receipt for the truck from someone in the shop, call a cab and head to the airport or the bus terminal and go home.

Don't do anything rash and don't do anything until you're pretty sure what your next step is going to be. This industry is huge but a bad mark will follow you a long time to a lot of future places, and many carriers like to document stuff and relay this to future employers calling for an employment verification and/or reference.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. Samuelh

Samuelh Bobtail Member

Jun 23, 2018
    Just be patient, they'll get you home eventually. But in the meantime you may come to love your job. Just stay positive.

6. tnpete

tnpete Medium Load Member

Jun 25, 2013
    Tn
    I was nice, asked them if they wanted the truck back home? Company asked what did I mean?? Told them I'm heading home in 1.5 hours. I can drive your truck home. Or I'm flying home, its up to you.
    1996 Loop around DC. TRied to deliver a drop 4 times. And was not going to let me head south. Until it was delivered.( 4 other drivers did not get it delivered also) They told me to please bring the truck and 4 tons of chocolate back to Tn. It was August and i was low of fuel in the Reefer. LOL

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    4 tons of chocolate? Where pray tell are you trying to deliver. Do you remember the physical address by chance?

Try me, I bet I can find that chocolate. Hershey if anything would be where it's at.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    This is what I would do, I would put as much fuel in the truck as I could get, tell them you are done and drive it right back to the company.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.