Hard to find work

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Mfw1, Jun 23, 2019.

1. Mfw1

Mfw1 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2018
    is it just me or is it getting alot tougher to find a good driving job.
    I have had a class 1 since 1998 but switched my career years ago to more construction based. Lately I have been wanting to go back to trucking. But having a tough time.
    My driving skill are still there since I intermittently haul low bed and gravel truck and pup. Have had alot of super b I experience hauling fuel and suck but that has been a few years now.
    I get messaged on indeed but after I reply never hear anything back.
    So just curious if it is just getting that tough out there to find work or is there more to it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 13pete

13pete Guest

depends where your looking in Canada I suppose but maybe stretch the truth a little bit on your resume. Don't include you barely drive at your current job. make it sound like you do everyday.

BigHossVolvo and Intothesunset Thank this.
  4. upnorthwpg

upnorthwpg Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2011
    What part of the country? What companies are you applying to?

5. Intothesunset

Intothesunset Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2019
    truck
  6. Mfw1

Mfw1 Bobtail Member

Nov 27, 2018
    Calgary.
    Been applying for tanker and flat deck. Since that is what I am most used to.
    I think maybe that because I have not been driving steady for quite some time might be the problem.

7. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Try posting on Craigslist under resumes.
    Also if you have any decent experience with gravel, talk that up because the construction companies are often looking for drivers with experience hauling gravel. Not many drivers can properly handle a pup, or do nice chain spreads, also gravel truck drivers tend to be extremely good at backing up because they spend a freakish amount of time doing so compared to other driving jobs, and its an art to get the perfect jackknife of the pup, and then have the truck in the exact right spot to dump it. I find that if a driver is skilled with a gravel truck, hauling anything else seems easy to them after. Where many people with 10 or 20 years experience ,are often still terrible at hauling gravel. Not to mention that they are far more aware of their surroundings, because if they weren't they would be tearing down power lines, house roof over hangs etc regularly. My company hauls a wide variety of products, but seeing some gravel truck experience on their resume always makes a good impression with me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  8. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    I’m based out of Calgary, basically how it works right now, is you either have to run the US, or you have to do Super B hopper bottom. Here is the catch, if you have more than 6 months of time between your last verifiable ft trucking job and now; you are basically considered a new driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.