Has anybody had an issue with a loose bolt on transmission output yoke and seal?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by ntorres041788, May 25, 2023.

1. ntorres041788

ntorres041788 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2022
    Sun Valley, CA 91352
    I currently am having a issue in which i encountered leaking on a 2021 peterbilt 348 with an alison output transmission seal leak. while going in to fix the issue i remove the driveshaft and saw that the bolt that holds the yoke on place had come loose to which i can remove it with my hand as it had completely came off. luckily the carry bearing holding the driveshaft in place steadily onto the yoke prevented the driveshaft falling off on the road. i went ahead and replaced the output seal and retightened the bolt but 2 days later it started to leak again..right where that same bolt is. this truck came directly from dealer and no major work was done from my knowledge to the driveshaft atleast not in my yard and any major work was done at dealership itself but nothing involving work to driveshaft or yoke that i can remeber as well..greasing is done regularly once a week as well as PM's. I looked into maybe any recalls refering to this but seem to not have found any.Has anyone encountered this type of situation? i did see a youtube video where a man did find this issue as well but it is a fairly old video on a 96'. any help would be appreciated. im going to call dealership tomorrow and explain the situation and see what can be done..dont want to put locktight on bolt or do anything that may void warranty of any kind.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Mine came from the factory with one missing. Go Paccar! 2022 model.

D.Tibbitt and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If its under warranty and are concerned they'll void it then why are you messing with it in the first place?

5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    To your question, is it a bolt that holds the yoke on rather than a large nut? I don't believe you are supposed to re-use those nuts.

6. ntorres041788

Dec 8, 2022
    Sun Valley, CA 91352
    no nut..its a bolt that holds onto the yoke..

Rideandrepair and Oxbow Thank this.
  7. ntorres041788

Dec 8, 2022
    Sun Valley, CA 91352
    good question..honestly dont want to go thru the hassle of taking to the shop and the down time..they usually take longer than doing the work myself..so finding out if other people are having issues may help in maybe getting a recall or something to benefit others from the potential risk it can cause for them..

8. ntorres041788

Dec 8, 2022
    Sun Valley, CA 91352
    you've got to be kidding me...!! o_Oo_O:eek:

9. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    That bolt coming loose isn't common, but it isn't surprising to see it lose either. Allison recommends a new sealing washer, then torque the bolt to 80-100 ftlbs. As for coming loose, always check for any driveline angle problems, such as incorrect working angles, incorrect drive shaft phasing and or improper ride height.

Rideandrepair, Flint1, Oxbow and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.