Has anyone ever caught flack being over max tow rating?

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Nov 15, 2015.

1. paulpost

paulpost Light Load Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Hi guys I'm getting confused here you state that because your truck weight is 9900 lbs. you can tow only 16100 lbs. But according the first pined post the 26000 lbs. is the combination of the truck GVWR and the trailer GVWR =GCVWR (general combined vehicle weight rating) so when comes to the load weight should it be the max lbs. per axle combined ?
    Like from what I see most of the flat beds goose neck have 10000 lbs. per axle plus in front what ever the truck is rated for the rear axle so lets say is another 2000 so max weight of the load cannot exceed 22000 lbs. now here comes the towing capacity that I think is in this case the weight of the load plus the weight of the trailer.
    Sound correct ? Please correct me I just started to make sense of all this mambo jumbo

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    My truck has the following ratings.
    Front axle 5,600lb
    Rear axle 9,375lb
    GVWR 13,025lb
    Max trailer rating(goose/5th) 23,200

My understanding of this is I can tow a trailer that weighs up to 23,200 pounds provided that in the process the actually weight on my truck from the pin weight doesn't make me go over my 13,025 GVWR or my rear axle 9,375 rating.

So in theory if everything was balanced perfectly I could have a combined weight well in excess of 30,000lb and be within all specs.

4. paulpost

Jan 25, 2015
    So it starts to make sense somehow as your truck weight is 13,025 lbs. your trailer has to be less than 13,000 lbs. empty so combined to be under 26,000 lbs. now when comes to load you have to add the max. load that you can have on each of th rear axels of the trailer plus the max. of the track rear axle 9,375 lbs. so assuming you have a max of 10,000 lbs. each trailer axel will give you 29,375 lbs. maximum weight of the load you can tow but if we add the weight of the trailer this will be whey over the towing limits of your or any truck in this category, the total weight of the load and the trailer combined do not have to exceed the towing weight limit suggested by manufacturer .
    Now I think I can understand but I just think

5. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!

There is only a handful of states with laws written for axle ratings, most go by federal (20k, 36k etc). Which have never neen rewritten for hot shots. So dot will most likely go by your tire ratings.

6. paulpost

Jan 25, 2015
    Sorry for my ignorance but now that is establish for me the 26,000 lbs. limit refers to the weight of the truck plus the weight of the trailer empty now how is determined the limit of the weight of the load you can haul, is this dictated by the length of the trailer and the limits that the manufacturer recommend or is Dot that sets the limits?

7. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I am having a hard time understanding what you are asking? If you are talking about a pickup and a gooseneck you are not going to weigh 26k empty nor do I understand why you refer to your empty weight as a limit.

Every vehicle and every trailer has a manufacturers GVWR. The gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum they rate that vehicle or trailer to weigh with a load. This includes the weight of the unit plus it's load.

The DOT may or may not look at these GVWR numbers but in my experience they look at axle ratings and for sure tire ratings.

Even if the DOT does not check your GVWR you should not exceed it because doing so is pushing your equipment beyond its design limits and it is likely unsafe and will wear out faster.

8. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Tire weight rating is probably the most reliable method. I seen some IRP a hotshot for 40,000 and have to wonder why ? You might can haul that much for a little while but will drastically over work every component.
    20K freight pays the same as 10K freight just slightly more of it.
    Worked on some 450/550 series truck before and would never buy one to run OTR they ride like wagons, the top speeds in ones I've seen are around 85MPH due to gearing and MPG sucks.
    You will find some areas where the moron enforcement tries to reinvent the wheel with some new way to make a violation to present they are really useful and providing a needed service.

truckon Thanks this.
  9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Next time you're at a dealership look at the window sticker closely. In the fine print it'll say something to the effect, "unless optional equipment has been added". Meaning a heavier duty hitch, a larger trailer with a higher GVW, bigger axles, and brakes, etc.

And under IRP, you can only pick their pre set weights that they have on the application. That means you can't just pick the weight that you would prefer to register at. They do this to simplify the registration process. We pick the 40,000 lb option because the lesser option is to lite.

truckon Thanks this.
  10. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL! It took me awhile to figure it out, too. Truck is 9900. GCWR as published by Ford Motor Company is 26000. My ACTUAL tow capacity becomes 26000 minus truck weight of 9900 = 16100. Note that in calculating tow capacity, they don't use GVWR, they use actual weights. They arrived at 17400 for their initial tow capacity based on a curb weight of 8600 for the truck. Mine weighs more because of the steel truck body, so my tow capacity is reduced. If I stripped off the truck bed and went with a naked cab/chassis I could possibly get more than 17400 tow capacity.

Axle capacity has little to do with towing, except that your trailer's tongue weight loaded can't exceed your rear axle capacity. Be careful on the trailers. Two 10000lb axles doesn't give you a 20000lb payload. You have to figure in the weight of the trailer itself. Mine's rated at 14000 but weight 4700. so my load cap on the trailer is 9300.

11. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's not ignorance. It's just not knowing yet. 26000 doesn't refer to truck weight plus trailer empty. It refers to what the manufacturer thinks is the MAXIMUM that your truck PLUS trailer PLUS payload can weigh and still be safe. Your payload is calculated by taking the GCWR (in this case 26000) and subtracting the actual weight of your truck and trailer. I took mine to the Flying J to get it scaled and find out the actual weight with fuel tanks full and my fat butt in the seat. For my own peace of mind, I reduce my own payload limit by 300 lbs just to be on the safe side. Shippers many times estimate their load weights, and may not include pallet weights, etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.