Has anyone ever used heat tape????

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by snowwy, Dec 14, 2017.

1. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    I wasn't thinking about a specific rule against heat strips. It is the extension cord going from tractor to tanker that concerns. I expect an orange or green extension cord would attract attention. I know tanker drivers who have received "Unsecured Load" and other types of tickets for very minor issues. Like having 5 gallon buckets on the catwalk secured by 4 straps. DOT officer said it required more straps. Another driver was ticketed for having an uncovered Chicago Fitting on the tanker's ground level air; the cap/cover was swinging freely.

Who knows? A driver could use this setup every winter for years and never have a problem.

BTW: I'm not trying to be difficult about this. I appreciate your replies and believe heat tape and insulation would work. I hope someone reads this who has specific experience with this setup and gives us feedback.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Thanks for responding.

Personally, I have my air lines and electrical cable bundled together. Wrapping a black electrical cord around the already black bundle that I have shouldn't draw any undue attention, IMO.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.