Has anyone installed a pyro gauge on an pete 579 with an MX13?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by scoobertdoo, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Keep it under 1000 on a sustained pull and you'll be fine

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Pre will give you a more accurate EGT reading. I also read to let your exhaust temps post turbo come down to 400 degrees to prevent coke buildup in the turbo.

4. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    hey buddy. is this your first trucck? IF so, WE ALLL were scared of things and over thinked things. So if, My opinion is that you are way overthinking it. Just weld a bung to your downpipe after the turbo. Adding 300 degrees is a bit of a stretch imo. Post turbo pyro temp at 1000 degrees isnt gonna hurt anything for a mile steep grade. IF you feel that is too hot and you have an several mile steep grade, Go for another downshift and keep the rpms high. Just find that sweet spot and gear that makes the pyro to your liking.

pushbroom and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  5. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Isspro’s usually come with a weldable bung with the probe in the complete kit. Not sure about other brands.
    They always recommended welding it between 3”-6” post turbo.
    Drill 1/2” hole, weld bung, install probe and gauge, go truckin’

pushbroom and Don379 Thank this.
  6. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    It's not my problem. I ran a race car with 8 egt probes, so I feel I have some expertise on the subject. Diesel runs about the same temps as a gas motor, so even if it's 1300 pre-turbo it won't hurt things for a short period of time. Keeping RPMs high will raise exhaust temps.

7. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Putting an egt probe pre turbo runs the risk of cracking the exhaust manifold or blowing the probe out from the back pressure. The probe can also break off and run though the turbo.
    There is really no good location on a paccar post turbo to mount one either.
    The engine already has multiple EGT sensors and monitors everything so there is nothing you can do to create a high EGT situation. Leave it alone and drive the #### thing.

Czar_Zero and AModelCat Thank this.
  8. Don379

Don379 Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Ok well pull the steep grades at 1300 rpms then. Good luck on the quest for egt probes

9. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Again, you are confused. I am not buying or using probes. Try and follow the thread. Maybe if you started from the top.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.