Has anyone performed a Diesel Force EGR cleaning on a D16?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by loudtom, Sep 3, 2020.

1. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    I planned on having this service performed on my 2012 VNL with a D16, but the provider was unsure if the software would communicate safely with the components on the truck. They were unable to get verification one way or another from the company HQ, and did not feel comfortable using my truck as a guinea pig. Does anyone have any experience with this or solutions? It's a high mileage truck at 950k, so I'm trying to avoid taking parts off to clean them if I can.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    I am a Diesel Force shop. Your shop would need (1) proper adapters for the product to be injected. D13 adapters work. (2) If they have the tablet provided by Diesel Force, the program for turbo and EGR valve are already loaded into it.

baha and loudtom Thank this.
  4. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    Cool, thanks! Another question would be about performing the regen after it's done. I've read that the temperature should be somewhere above like 900F. The exhaust temperature on my dash/display only gets to about 700F. The regen process seems to complete without any issues and the soot gauge gets reset. I took the 7th injector off and cleaned the carbon off the gasket and tip, and the DPF/DOC was recently cleaned. Is the exhaust temperature from the dash the one I should be using, and if it is, should I look into troubleshooting that before getting the cleaning done?

5. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    You may need to replace the EX. temp. sender it should show hotter than 700 F. on a hard up hill pull??

6. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    I'm in Florida right now, so no hard uphill pulls nearby to test it. I also don't plan on getting any loads out of Florida. I want to make sure the truck is ready before I put a load on it, and the local freight isn't worth taking.

jsnell Thanks this.
  7. QUALITYTRUCK

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    700F is nowhere near hot enough. If you recently had filter/DOC cleaned then Diesel Force is not going to help you. From symptoms you listed, I would guess that you have a bad DOC. It is a "wearable" item that will need to be replaced eventually. Need to have it diagnosed properly with PTT.

loudtom Thanks this.
  8. loudtom

Aug 26, 2016
    I'm wanting to do it as preventative maintenance for the EGR cooler and valve. For all I know the valve is original, and the cooler was replaced 150k miles ago. I'm not very good with extracting bolts, and I tend to break them too often, so I'd rather not mess with the valve. Between that and buying all new gaskets, clamps, and hoses, it just seems easier to run the cleaning and get the benefit of cleaning all the in between parts as well.

What test should I ask them to perform? I'm not getting any codes and the truck seems to run decent. Usually at this point, the shops I normally go to would say they can't find anything wrong and charge 2 hours plus diagnostic fees, or start throwing parts at it that it might not need. Maybe the shops down here are better, though.

9. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I installed and uninstalled my EGR valves , never seen the valve or valve seat clogged, the gases are passing through with high speed like sand blasting it. If goes bad and gets stuck open/closed is usually the upper opening/closing electric/hydraulic mechanism or weak springs. This preventive cleaning procedure would be more useful to clean EGR cooler gets dirty clogged especially if you got an internal leak .

QUALITYTRUCK and loudtom Thank this.
  10. QUALITYTRUCK

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    You have an issue if your regen temps. are not getting higher than 700F. Have a forced regen with laptop done so many parameters can be monitored.

Johny41 and loudtom Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.