Has anything like this ever happened to any other drivers?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Runaway02, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Runaway02

Runaway02 Light Load Member

Sep 28, 2007
    I live in TN.The company I work for is out of IN.I delivered a load in Oh.I was hurt trying to slide my tandems,I was rushed to the hospital with the clothes on my back and nothing else,my dog was taken out of my truck and taken to a shelter where thank heavens they took care of her till I got out of the hosp.5 days later.While I was in the hosp.and with absolutely no warning the company came and took my truck back to IN.with ALL my possessions in it.And I mean my purse,wallet,money,credit/debit card,telephone,I mean everything,all I had was the shirt,pants,undergarments I was wearing when I was rushed to the hosp.I didn't even have a pair of shoes with me.The 5 days I was in the hosp.having MRI's,EEG's, CAT SCANS done the company never once offered ANY help.My family had to drive up from TN.pick me up at the hosp.pick up my dog from the shelter then go all the way to the terminal in IN to retrieve my possessions from the truck and then drive all the way back home to TN.And I will add here that the very first thing the hospital did was a complete drug/alcohol screening which was totally clean.Has any one ever been through anything like this and if so what if any thing did you do about it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Grouch

Grouch Road Train Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Between here and eternity
    This doesn't surprise me. But I would certainly seek some legal advise concerning this. Weren't about $1000 missing out of your wallet?? Now don't you go and pay for a thing, this all comes under Workman's Comp. and this is where you should start looking for legal advise, a lawyer who specializes in this field.

4. Runaway02

Sep 28, 2007
    I've not had a chance to see if anything was missing as we just pretty much tossed everything into the van so they could get me home to bed(where I still am)so I havent felt like going through anything yet.But the word I got was that they are going to say I left the truck unsecured so anything that might be missing happened before they got the truck.

5. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    One word. Attorney. You need to start calling now. Don't let this get any further out of hand.

JReding, Wargames, bellydumper and 5 others Thank this.
  6. Runaway02

Sep 28, 2007
    Thank you guys for your feed back:biggrin_255:.I still have to go to my personal doc and then another neurologist for another EEG and I did just get home last night as we had to stop on the road to let another family member wire us more gas money to come on home.But first thing after my doc appt in the morn I will start calling lawyers.

Wargames and bullhaulerswife Thank this.
  7. bullhaulerswife

bullhaulerswife Forum Leader/Admin Staff Member Administrator

Jul 23, 2007
    Midwest
    Good. Keep us posted on how it goes.

8. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Paul Taylor, look him up, great trucker lawyer...........

Runaway02 Thanks this.
  9. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    How did you get hurt so bad by sliding your tandems?
    Just curious so I don't make a similar mistake.
    What did you injure so badly that you were laid up for 5 days?
    Must have been real bad since we know insurance companies want to discharge people from hospital so quickly nowadays

10. Runaway02

Sep 28, 2007
    It had been raining and I was using my pully to get the lever all the way out to lock in place,as I pulled it my foot slipped in some mud and I fell back against the trailer beside mine hitting my head and back against the trailer,it hurt but I didn't think much of it,I went to the truckstop down the road and called my dispatch for my next load,I was out of hours so I told him I was going to sleep awhile then go get the load,by then I had a real headache and was a little sick to my stomach but I thought it was just cause I was tired and hungry,so I decided to lay down awhile then go in and eat,the next thing I know is there are a bunch of people in my truck yelling at me to wake up,I had been out of it for over 24hrs.I guess I wasn't real coherent and I couldnt move my back or neck without real pain so they put me on a backboard and hauled me out of the truck into an ambulance.The hospital did all kinds of head tests and said I had most likely gotten a concussion and while they were doing the EEG they saw a >spike<?in it.Thats why they kept me so long they wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have a siezure from the hit on the head.

truckerdave1970 and Wargames Thank this.
  11. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    HOLY COW! So sorry, I hope you feel better soon. I will definitely pay a little more attention now when I have to move my tandems. Amazing how something so seemingly harmless and simple can easily turn ugly!
    Good luck with the trucking company stuff too. It just ain't right for a company to treat anyone so poorly.

Runaway02 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.