Has Trucking Changed You?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hidden1, May 12, 2021.

1. hidden1

hidden1 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Solitude? Love it. My best times are on a lonely road on my Harley
    Close quarters: definitely cozy
    Idiot phone: I only have one because I have to. I'll give up my phone before giving up my Kindle.
    Mrs. hidden1: She's behind me 100%
    My condolences on losing your wonderful women in your life. You were blessed with the time you shared with them.

silinus vers, Numb and TripleSix Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trucknguy

trucknguy Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2015
    West coast
    No change here after 31 years. I was angry and impatient before I started trucking :)

jason6541, hidden1 and okiedokie Thank this.
  4. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I truly enjoy trucking. Geography and travel are 2 of my favorite things. I get a kick out of knowing about different people's and how they behave and what makes them tick. We have many many different regions and people's. I have learned to take interest in the people I meet, to ask them how's their day, to thank the chick cleaning the showers at the truck stop and tell her how great it is to come to a truck stop where they have sparking clean showers. Seeing the appreciation on other normal working folks faces when I take a minute to show a little gratitude is quite fulfilling. Asking them about things in their area, where to get the best grub, etc. They have different sayings in different areas, different cuisine, different culture (particularly away from the Metros). From Laissez les bons temps roulet in Lafayette to the Skookum Choochers in Cascadia to Uff Da norwegians Minnesota, etc etc.

I like being able to name different trees, plants, flora fauna etc. Today I saw a moose on the side of I-94 up by the exit for Glacier National Park, no joke. The seasons, you will see them like you've never seen them before. I am struck by the bougainvillea blooming and how amazing and bright they are all over the deepest part of Southern Alabama. The beauty of the mountains, even on routes I travel frequently, generally see something new every time. The land is so Vast and beautiful and varied and seasonal.

You will begin climbing up towards Vail summit in the sunshine and then all the sudden have white out conditions, out of the blue, happens all the time.

You are in for a real treat, just get your mind right. When I started, I told myself don't worry about the money, just learn to be a good competent driver and the money will take care of itself in time. Be patient. Some places treat the drivers like animals, unfortunately many in our industry smell and don't bathe and wear dirty clothes and never wash their truck, throw trash on the ground, etc. So it's hard to blame shippers and receivers who have to face that mess in their office and parking lot day in day out.

Being able to see real life and take it in and think of all those office dwellers playing office politics and sitting under fluorescent lights, watching sensitivity training videos and being re-educated into corporate drones, and just think how lucky you are.

I was a Civil Engineer in Florida, designing airports, subdivisions and hospital campuses prior to getting into trucking.

It is what you make it. I got patience, I'm not sure you can do trucking without it. The money is pretty good too. My perception is pretty much most companies have some guys who really make coin, just work hard and be professional and you will stand out and get rewarded in time.

Good luck!

5. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    Been doing it for almost five years except for a nine month break. It has changed my social ways..I just don't care to be around people very much anymore except for close family and rarely a friend or two.

hidden1 Thanks this.
  6. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    It saved my life

hidden1 Thanks this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I haven't changed... truck drivers have changed.
    Embarrassed to tell anyone what I do for living these days and can't wait to retire !

8. Qbf594

Qbf594 Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2019
    Southern Canadian annex, NY
    I concur. Much of what you get is determined by the attitude you go in with. Not sure I think the job changes a person as much as the person allows the job to exaggerate existing qualities. I love camping. I love books, cooking and personal reflection and subsequent improvements (or attempts LOL)
    And so my little cell (cab) is set up like a tent. With carpet and nice thread count sheets, cooking gear, bucket sink and lots of groceries. Audio and physical books. Jump rope and resistance bands. I avoid truck stops. I found a segment of driving that operates on a schedule I prefer. (flatbed) Life is good. Money is better than my last job in an office. New boss is awesome.
    This job isn't for everyone but the license will provide lots of options and if you're more social than you realize then when your payback incarceration is over you can go home with renewed gratitude LOL
    Best of luck to you.

silinus vers and spindrift Thank this.
  9. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    NOPE! I am the same mean ole (redacted) today I was when I was a teen!

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  10. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    put the blame of non accomplishment feelings on the school board and thier "no child left behind" policy.

back in my day, if you failed a grade, they kept you back a year.

or you had the option of summer school, and i can guarantee you this, no kid wants to waste his/her summer in school, so they "smarten up" real quick for the next school year.

you say public education, so i have to surmise that you are in well...a public school system..???

you ever give any thoughts to either private schooling, or moving to a better location?

if you got "burnt out" from teaching, what makes you think that after x number of years, trucking will not burn you out?

every job has it's ups and downs.....do you really wanna be micro-mamaged by the trucking companies, more so that the school system?

at least, in "most" school systems, you have a union that will protect you if you mouth off to a superior.

in trucking??

have your bags packed, and be labeled a trouble maker.

hidden1 Thanks this.
  11. Canadianhauler21

Canadianhauler21 Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2017
    Trucking definitely changes people, weather it's good or bad. Personally I have gotten much more calm, value time with my family more and am at the most peace driving down the interstates. I have also become numb to the idiocy of other car drivers/truck drivers. Nothing bothers me anymore.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.