Has Trucking Changed You?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hidden1, May 12, 2021.

1. John E.

John E. Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2021
    New Brunswick
    The trucking industry has been good to my Family and myself. I choose to be in this business when I was young, very young.
    Have experienced my up's and downs, there is so much to learn in this industry, much has been discussed in the previous threads posted by the Drivers before me. Many things have changed in the industry, not always for the better although some things have gotten better. I'm soon starting my 50th yr driving and operating a heavy vehicle, would I do it again if I could?
    Knowing now what I didn't know in the beginning, probably. I made mistakes in this business, made some enemy's I could have avoided looking back.
    At times I left good paying jobs with good working conditions because I wanted it MY WAY. Those are some of my regrets. is some of the things I would change if I could. On a positive note, I have met some really smart people in this industry who had my back when I didn't know it, those are good memories. I have respect for these professionals today. I believe the one thing I have learned in this industry would be respect for the Women and Men who steered me in the right direction when I was faltering.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Before you start trucking, take a ride to Tombstone AZ to have a beer in front of the OK Corral. No interstates. No big chain restaurants. There’s a Harley t’shirt shop across the street. I don’t usually buy Harley tees, but had to get one from Tombstone.

@Dennixx , any other recommendations?

kemosabi49, MACK E-6, John E. and 2 others Thank this.
  4. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    If your a loner then you'll be more of a loner then before, probably put on some weight. Your wife says she's ok with you going OTR but once your gone for a few weeks she may change her mind. OTR can be hard on a marriage. Riding around with a trainer will be the hardest part. But it's a good feeling when you get your own truck and head out on your first load from say fontana to Cheyenne or Denver. Love the open road!

John E. and hidden1 Thank this.
  5. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I or should I say we, travel the back roads exclusively. We like old bars and restaurants, maybe county or territorial museums, historic sites like forts and penitentiaries. Anything of historical significance that doesn't attract the selfie crowd. When riding we like to keep it flexible to allow a few off the beaten path forays.
    Last year nonwithstanding we have ridden every year to places like a small blues fest in W Virginia or Bents Fort in Colorado, not so much as a destination but something interesting during a ride.
    As far as the shirts go I gotta admit those are what I call souvenirs for me.
    Dealer, bar, restaurant or oddity shirts are the only things I collect. Heck I still have and wear shirts from the 70s..lol
    In August we'll run down thru Iowa and Nebraska to visit Fort Crawford then up to the Black Hills to look at property.
    Nothing I enjoy more than a motorcycle road trip, which may seem weird since my whole life has been driving.
    59261.jpeg
    A couple of shirts.
    The wife takes care of the laundry..

Cool site
    Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

Food
    Roadfood: Discover Authentic Regional Dishes & Restaurants

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    kemosabi49, John E. and TripleSix Thank this.
  6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    No appreciation in this business. Sorry.

As soon as my son finishes college next December, I'm seriously thinking of taking a $30,000 a year pay cut, and go back to cutting meat.

7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I have no children that I am aware of! If I did I would have the same opinion about trucking my father did. I don't want my children driving a truck. I much rather they learn a trade of some kind OR join a profession. Still, I want them to be able to truck and do it well as a backup. When I got out of the USAF I was driving soon afterward. Back then it was generally easy and the FMCSA did not even exist back then. If the same environment existed then that is in place today I would have gone back to school and become one of those bloodsucker Attorneys. I took the LSAT exam in 1980.

John E. and jason6541 Thank this.
  8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    @hidden1 Hope I can get a gig of four-days on three-days off. That would be perfect.

That's gonna be difficult to find in food grade tanker. Maybe if you can find a local mom-n-pop outfit, but most of those have gone out of business or swallowed up by the big players.

Definitely an achievable schedule for fuel hauling, though.

Also, there are plenty of food grade regional jobs. That's what I do, the longest I've ever been out is 12 days.

If you want to go tanker, do it right from the get go, never mind that "paying your dues" bs with a crap mega otr.

So many people are content to stay home and collect their government check, that people who actually want to show up and work are a hot commodity.

Trucking is almost coming full circle back to the situation in the mid 1990s: If you can fog a mirror and can see out of at least one eye, you got the job.

I get sour about trucking sometimes, but, to quote a member of the TTR Forum:

"Of all the jobs I'm qualified to do, trucking sucks the least."..........

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Reason for edit: Clarity
    John E. Thanks this.
  9. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    It's what YOU make of it...

Has this job changed me? After 20 years absolutely. In some ways it's been positive, other ways not so much.

I appreciate time at home with my family MUCH more, even though I only run local and get home every afternoon. I'm fortunate in that I do what I enjoy and get to see my kids grow up. I'm much more patient than I was just 5 years ago (could be old age).

I've become much more cynical, but more optimistic in the last few years. Again maybe old age.

I've gained a few pounds, nothing too bad though. Lost some hair and even have some grey ones. When I started I looked all of 16 when in fact I was 20. That held until I hit 30 or so. Now at the age of 39, people think I'm older than I am. I blame that on not paying attention to what I ate in my younger days.

All in all, it's been a good ride so far. I make a comfortable living. Definitely some things I'd do differently though.

But, it's what YOU make of it. I read some of the comments and it really makes me wonder why, if it was or is so bad, why continue driving? Yeah, I have bad days- we all do. But I've learned that it's just a moment in time, and it will pass. Got a shipper or receiver that's a jerk? So what! You only have to deal with them for a little bit. Are you gonna let some loser that's having a bad day ruin yours? Traffic backed up and you're frustrated? Guess what? Everyone around you is in the same situation. And it will pass eventually. And those pesky cars that keep bugging you? Who cares! They'll soon disappear.

My biggest thing I hate is the other truck drivers. Usually the other steering wheel holders are the ones that get under my skin. Camping out in the left lane doing under the speed limit, flying through construction zones only to be passed on the other end. But, I'll usually only deal with those clowns for a short time. So why get upset?

Again, it's what YOU make of it.

Canadianhauler21 and John E. Thank this.
  10. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Yes it changed me. I can’t drive anything other than a big truck now. When I’m home, I pretty much ride shotgun usually :(

Qbf594, John E. and hidden1 Thank this.
  11. hidden1

hidden1 Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Phelan, Ca
    Hi Lucky,
    Yeah a word of kindness goes a long way with people; especially with those working menial-type jobs like you mentioned. I try to think that if someone is short or snappy with you there's an underlying reason why. Maybe all they need is encouragement.
    I don't get when people say the drive is boring. Sure, if you're doing the same daily commute then it can get routine, but OTR, I imagine, is far from that.
    When I moto tour (three cross-country tours Ca to Fl and back) I never get tired of it. Even not having a radio doesn't bother me. So many sights and smells along the way. On a bike you're subjected to everything nature has for you like 100 degrees in the desert. But, when you run into a thunderstorm you appreciate the rain so much more.

John E. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.