Hauling Company Property and BOL

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Arisonius, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Arisonius

Arisonius Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    So in working for a company where I'm strictly hauling the company's own equipment from place to place. Yes crossing state borders, and later, crossing into Canada.

Here's my question: because the freight is owned by my company, being used by my company, do I need a BOL? Other complication: would I have to act as the shipper and reciever as there is no one with the authority to act as an agent on my company's behalf?

Thanks in advance Truckers! I know I can count on you guys to answer the questions!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

So are you asking a question about regulations or what people get away with? Think carefully.

4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    Crossing the border definitely requires bol and customs paperwork for stuff being imported.
    I ran for a Toronto area carrier. One of our owner operators got searched at the border and put into custody until the owner of the company came down to fess up for trying to smuggle wine and fine art in his company trailers.

5. Arisonius

Arisonius Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Asking about regulations. I'm not trying to get away with anything. Trying to run legally all the way.

6. Arisonius

Arisonius Bobtail Member

Jul 2, 2018
    We have some people working on the border crossing issue. I was redirected to another load/ route until it can be squared away.

7. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    You do not need a BOL unless it is hazmat, in the US , don't know about Canada

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    No need for a bol on either side of the border.

You will have to make a claim for the property at the border or through an customs broker and possibly bond it out. This is done to insure when you come back you can prove to Canada didnt you to sell it illegally over there.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.