Hauling Inoperable Equipment and needing a winch?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by D.Tibbitt, Jun 9, 2022.

1. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    D, just chiming in on your wondering how you might do some of this.. First, the main problem with loading down equipment is its location. It may be on the back side of the quarry you used to load at, but turned crossways to your approach and locked dead tight.
    Then as mentioned, some will be on skids and have to be dragged out of location, to loading area, then cribbed to drag on the trailer. Trailer floor damage and even frame twist if your winch and riggings is man enough.
    All in all; way back when in the 50/60's it was understood. We hauled it from where you loaded it on us to where you unloaded it off us. And you had it together when we arrived, no go arrange time allowed.
    My personal experience was mostly with forklift or other material handling machines. At auctions or dealer disposal lots. Usually with lift, cranes, or pits to push on. Often using a tandem, straight truck, 20' Jerr-Dan body with winch. At a factory, usually other lifts to use. Can pour oil on floor and skid to dock door.
    I am sure we have all seen situations where we observed the whole deal desired had so much hair on it we would not touch. Leave it to one that specializes in such and it will be a recovery type operation.
    A lot of investment in modifying you operation, for the few reasonable higher paying loads would not be worth it overall. Just my unasked opinion.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    Reason for edit: Spelling.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    you are right. i am glad i asked the question about this topic because alot of great info has come my way... really was just scratching that itch of curiosity that lives in my mind on something that i have no knowlege about , but many others do.. i try to think about the bigger picture and how much of a pain it would really be to load something on the trailer with a winch, if it was do able for my situation.. i just know i would regret it on the first load as im dragging #### thru the mud tearing up my deck and mud up to my ankles, id ask myself that question i always ask when i get in deep.. what the hell did i get myself into ? :biggrin_25523:

4. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    Sounds like a job for a travelling axle trailer like a Landoll or a dovetail deal like a Traileze. Essentially, it's a job best suited for a wrecker but the customer or the broker don't want to pay a real rate for one so they have it on the spot market hoping to find a sucker to move it for half price.

5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Those are "character building " moments!

6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    lol man ive had more than a couple of those moments. cant say it was anybodys fault but my own :D

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    If we haven't talked you out of winches yet....consider your winch line. Winch lines hate everything and they especially hate people. They'll spool in and lay down just right all day long until you quit watching them. Then, in the time it takes to grab a pinch of snoose, they'll cross roll on the drum, pinch out of lay, and put so much pressure on the fairlead that it wants to turn the truck sideways. If they get worn they can break and flying winch lines kill people. Learn to repair them by cutting out the bad section and splicing in a new section.
    Learn to splice cable. You'll eventually need to and you'll be too far from the shop for them to send you one. Never admit to anyone that you know how to splice cable. If they know, they'll keep you at it steady and after a while it gets boring.
    If you have room carry a line vise and a couple of fids. Carry a few cable clamps too. If you're on a yarder show the hooktender might give you a hand. Or not.
    Did we mention blocks? Blocks of all sizes. A lot of times if something you're winching starts to go sideways on you you can redirect with a couple of blocks and get things lined out. If you have to parbuckle something over the side you'll need some blocks. A couple of snatch blocks are handy too. And no, a snatch block is not something used in the Victorian era to prevent intercourse. Look it up, or ask the first old guy you see.

8. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Ah, but experiences we have had that others have/hopefully for them, will never experience. Carry all your scars with pride as non were easy.

9. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Snatch blocks are God's gift to physics! Really amazing the physics of a pulley system... now I'm starting to understand why "winch trucks" exist.. Like that one I took from New Mexico down to Ritchie brothers.. The winch on that thing was massive. Can only imagine some of the #### it pulled in the oil fields... idk that sounds like a challenging but rewarding gig running a truck like that and yanking equipment out of the the deep depths of forest hell. Defiantly now , not gonna bother with it on my Highway truck

10. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
  11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    You have to realize to truly respect those times of “winching and cussing” as my grandfather called it you have to understand that tow trucks were rare and big rig tow trucks were ultra rare. Calling out a crane was unheard of. So because of this anyone that hauled that kind of stuff always had a winch mounted behind the cab. Armed and ready to do any kind of damage they could. Lol!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.