Hauling Livestock

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Prairie Trucker, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Prairie Trucker

Prairie Trucker Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Thank you - one of the drivers actually worked on a farm and he was trying to get us into it

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    No one makes it off load board rates. Those things only exist cause someone with no business owning a livestock wagon buys one to join the cool club. They haul a few loads and fizzle out. I remember when we were all but a closed society

bzinger, D.Tibbitt, joey8686 and 3 others Thank this.
  4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    In our area it's still pretty much closed to outsiders. The faces change but it's almost always the same families that have been doing it for years. Once in awhile some outfit will send a salesman through here and he might even drum up a little business but the accounts he gets are the ones that nobody will haul for anyway.
    My son and I run a few cows. It's a cow/calf deal, nothing fancy, but we like to know we can trust our hauler to get the calves to town every year. So far we've used the same guy for about twenty five years.

5. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Exactly I go to the same places year after year. Take them to the same feedlot etc. I have learned when someone is missing from the usual group don’t ask about them.......it may be a hard story for the family to tell.

D.Tibbitt, Oxbow and REO6205 Thank this.
  6. Prairie Trucker

Jan 27, 2021
    Twenty years is a relationship - I understand the trust needs to be there - thank you for your honest feedback

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I don't know about the rest of the country but I imagine it's pretty much the same. I was born and raised in this area and a lot of the people I do business with are either relatives or people I've known all my life. We tend to stick with what we know and who we're familiar with.
    I still buy my fencing supplies and most of my feed from the grandson of the man my Grandfather bought them from.
    The place I live has been in our family since the 1850s. It's grown some but whatever we take on has to pay for itself. LOL...Sometimes that takes a while.
    That being said, we're not perfect. Long way from it. We have the same squabbles and different attitudes and make the same mistakes as anybody else. We have our share of lazy people, drunks, loafers, dopers, and all the rest of the bad things that come with any society.
    We've just had more experience. at patching up misunderstandings than most people.

8. Prairie Trucker

Jan 27, 2021
    Well said - 1850's that's a legacy... my partner went hunting for Moose up north two weeks ago and bumped into a family that was camped at Little Limestone Lake - they said they have been camping there for generations and hunting - it was their spot... roots are so important eh?

9. joey8686

joey8686 Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2014
    The guys with the big shiny polished rigs usually farm all summer or have other sources of income so keep that in mind if you have dollar signs in your eyes watching cow truck videos online like every other young guy.

Prairie Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.