Hauling petroleum for Loves in AZ

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Brklyn, Jul 11, 2012.

1. WideSkyND

WideSkyND Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2012
    yeah, those sparkling clean company arco rigs, always a wowed feeling when those guys pulled up along side. back then the other mainline operators like shell,etc were dumping their company fleets, think arco is about last left..wages dropped precipitously, now have bottom feeders like wayne, klemm, kag,
    thats as good a reason as any why I did not stay with fuels on a long time basis, ...hard to justify todays wages with all new regs, there's a reckoning coming though next few yrs in the states
    the economy has stuttered around so long, ...just 3% ticks down in that stubborn unemployment
    be a wholesale bidding war on exp safe drivers...bout time too...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I know a lot of drivers that wanted to get hired on there with ARCO. I know there's been a 5 year waiting list and then if someone retires or leaves. But you're right, it won't be long before ARCO is gone to common cariers too just like the rest of them. That's one thing you can count on in the gasoline business, if one is making a move the others will follow. I know they watch the operations of others very closely.

4. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ

A side note on that. Bring a stopwatch (smartphone has one). Make notes about how many GPM are dropping from each hole. Most are about 400GPM with a 4" but some may be different. Then when you have your "OH SH**" moment you will know how many seconds you need to borrow.

BTW, has anyone ever "known of a guy" who crossed diesel into a gas drop or the other way around? I always wondered how much you could get away with. For instance if you drop 2500 diesel into 12000 gallons of regular already in the ground or 2000 gallons of gas into 10000 gallons of diesel, how much is too much? The biggest problem with doing that is if you "misplace" 2500 gallons of diesel then you need to drop 2500 gallons of gas into the diesel tank. So you are really de-rating two products instead of one. Decisions, decisions...

5. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    I don't know what company you work for but mine checks all the time. They have caught a few common carriers and those drivers got fired and left the area. You can't get it close enough by timimg the drop unless the station has some real poor equipment. There was one driver that loaded diesel on top of ethanol!!! They had to park the truck and let the product seperate and got as much as they could and the rest had to go out as hazardous waste. It couldn't even go back as transmix because ethanol is not a petroleum product. Most of us learned a long time ago that cross dumps happen and it's best to do the right thing. Unless you already have such a lousy job it wouldn't matter if you got fired or not. I'd rather be embarrassed a couple of days than lose my benefits. Besides, the company figured no matter who you are you'll average 5 years inbetween mixes.

6. Guntoter

Guntoter Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Plenty of people time their cover ups. You can get within a couple hundred gallons without even trying (+/- 30 seconds). You can get within 50 with a stopwatch, 50 gallons is a Veeder root being a centimeter off, we have 200 gallon variance all the time.
    The thing I really was curious about is how far people are willing to go with different product.

7. GasHauler

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    We'd put no more than 50 gallons for an allowance. We would just report it because we knew the punishment was really no more than a slap on the hand. That is unless you contamed all the time. I don't know how your drops allow for so much since they are required by law to report any variance more than 100 gallons.

I have never heard of a driver fixing a mix by loading gasoline on top of diesel. I would think there would be problems with the engines, but I guess it all depends on how much diesel there was in the tank. My only contam was 4500 gallons of leaded regular on top of the no lead super. There's no hiding that. I only had 3 months with the company and all they did was kick my probationary period out another 6 months. Don't get me wrong, I've had spills and blown the gas out the top of the trailer while loading but moving fast to clean those messes up saved me. I had a 30 foot hose going with a coaxial fitting and just as I walked by the fitting flew up about 4 feet with the product going full bore. I never thought I could move so fast but I ran and shut the flow off and had my spill pack out and sopping up the gas before it went towards any street or off the property.

8. WideSkyND

WideSkyND Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2012
    that loading side is what gives me fits, unloading was never an issue for the most part.
    set off alarms once for too full at rack,no mess or anything but humiliating non the less.
    happened to me same way,within 1st 90 days, bothered me to no end, this is as good a reason as any to verify alll product is out of tank, completely.
    should say in my defense, the sensors on that particular trailer were considered over sensitive or something to that extent.
    garage had issues with that I was told.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  9. casc1

casc1 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2011
    toronto
    Another bit of advice to those new to hauling fuel, bring a 5th wheel hook with you........ever see those guys at the rack hobbling around......that is from blowing their knees out squatting to pull a fill cap off a pipe 16" below the lid....a hook comes in real handy getting those caps off.

10. throttlejockey

throttlejockey Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Hammer Lane
    Loves is good good strong company. If you get the chance to get on with them do it.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Doesn't Loves have those applications you mail in; usually beside the cash register?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.