Hauling pipe to Williston North Dakota

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Skate-Board, Sep 25, 2014.

1. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Chicago to Nodak would have to be upwards of $6500 for me. No point in spending a week doing a load when I can run under 1,000 a miles total for the week doing local stuff and make more.

281ric and SMTatham Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    I'd also like to point out that the last time I hauled a load up there I was told it was going to a customers laydown yard when in fact it went out to the field I showed up at the address and was told it did not go there all it was was their office

4. 281ric

281ric Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2011
    TX
    my thinking also

5. KenworthGuyNH

KenworthGuyNH Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Central, NH

We all agree the rates out of TX are too low. I am gonna gently say this........and move on. RE-READ what was written. Skate did not say "he" is hauling hay, nor anything "back to Texas". He said that was what was available.........and he is deadheading out. That's all. I have NO dog in this fight.....but am just baffled how we can read the same post and get such different conclusions!!

6. BAYOU

BAYOU Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Beaumont,Tx
    Ok after reading it again your right, guess I automatically assumed that's what he was doing because many others do just that.

I will say this I have never seen the rates were you could go in there loaded drop and then head out in steel average over $2/mile to the truck me personally I would rather run north east for $2.50/ and back and average $2.40/ for the week. I mostly see in other areas of the country most inbound freight is paying roughly $3/mi in my opinion that does not justify the deadheading back out but each has its own.

SMTatham Thanks this.
  7. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Wow, go to bed, wake up and I'm hauling pipe from Texas and hauling hay back!! :biggrin_25526:

8. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Pipe is also manufactured all over the U.S. Also, just because pipe is going to ND does not mean it's used for drilling. The pipe I take is made of epoxy and used for gas and the extraction of helium from the oil wells. During the winter months I've been going between OH/PA to NC/SC non stop usually hauling steel. Hauling steel into PA in the winter is probably the most challenging with grades that are off the charts compared to out West. That gets old real quick doing Fancy Gap, the non stop hills and curves pretty much 70% of the way. There's something to be said doing 600 miles a day with the cruise on and listening to Muskrat Love blasting at 120db

9. BROKENSPROKET

BROKENSPROKET Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Wisconsin
    That green stuff is epoxy coated steel.

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  10. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Still been hauling pipe up there. Just finished another one and on my way out empty. Was watching a local program on TV and economists had something very interesting to say. Oil prices have been falling and are now around $85 per barrel. The competition has started. The supply is way up and the demand is down and will continue due to Texas, North Dakota and Canada. We are becoming more and more less dependent on oil from overseas so they are dropping the prices. This causes our oil fields to drop the price and so on.

So, with that being said what they are worrying about is when oil goes below $70 a barrel it will no longer be profitable to drill for oil in ND. The pay will drop and people will leave and everything will collapse. It just blows my mind going up there. It's like Chicago at rush hour on a two lane road. I was at Lake Placid for the Olympics and they built that place up with tons of hotels, restaurants and everything else. I was up there a few years ago and everything is abandoned, overgrown and falling down.

This program also said how ND oil is driving up the price of milk in Texas. Say what?!?!?!?! The pay is so good to take pipe up to ND flatbedders are dead heading out to get another load instead of taking hay to Texas. For those who don't know, you need hay from the cold climates to produce good milk. Texas is too hot and not enough water so it has to be trucked in.

11. tobiasrook

tobiasrook Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2013
    Where can I find a load or two...Sitting in Billings, Montana with nothing to do.....step deck ready to roll.....I'd like to catch a load east

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.