Hauling Questions

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by bigbobtrucker, Nov 28, 2023.

1. bigbobtrucker

bigbobtrucker Bobtail Member

Nov 28, 2023
    Long time lurker here, pardon my ignorance, but I am trying to decipher this GVWR system. Where I keep getting confused is, reaching the total GVWR, I understand it can be the truck itself, or combination of truck and trailer or load. Depending on the type of truck or trailer or load can determine what class of license one needs. What if I were hauling an empty 14k GVWR trailer behind my Ram Dually that is 14k GVWR. Would that require a Class A since the total is 28k GVWR? What if the trailer has one or two cars on it and they weigh cumulatively 6k?

I just cannot wrap my brain around just because something is rated to a certain weight is that what is used to determine if I need the CDL or is it the actual weight?

Someone make this make sense and teach me! LOL

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Ignore actual weight. It's meaningless. It's all abot the weight rating
    So in your example, you have a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) of 28k, and since the trailer is greater than 10k GVWR you need a Class A license.

4. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    IF the vehicle is rated to carry the aforesaid mentioned weight legally then you will have to comply EVEN if you never transport that much weight. Why simply because the unit is rated for that weight. No one KNOWS that you won't load a load with that much weight. Pretty simple They don't trust you or your word as to what you will and won't do.

Bud A. and tscottme Thank this.
  5. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    You will need a CDL A and a DOT number.

Mnmover99 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.