Hauling Two 40'

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Dam1975, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Dam1975

Dam1975 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2024
    Hi guys, Im new to the industry, and hope someone can give me an insight on something that im researching in. Im looking at the possibility of hauling two 40 footers in a semi in greater Vancouver area. I was considering both A-train double with a dolly or a B-Train double configuration, but the total box length according to CVSE is limited to max 20m for both. This will only accommodate a 40 footer and a 20 footer in two trailers. Does anyone has an idea of how to overcome this? even with a permit. If so, what would be the best combination? Thanks guys

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    Not sure I can help, but I lived in Idaho many years ago. We could haul a long trailer and a pup with a long draw bar. We had to adhere to length limits. I believe Wa. had same rules. Hauling triples was the same RE: length limit. ( 105 Ft) I've seen double 48' trailers on some toll rd in Mass or N.Y. only allowed on the pike, had to break them before getting off. This was years ago, not sure what's allowed now.

Dam1975 Thanks this.
  4. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    MA and NY also require an LCV license to haul 48' and 53' 'turnpike doubles'. You need a minimum of 5 years experience and a good driving record to get this license.
    Some Western states which permit triple pups also allow like 42' doubles, but that's only 3 or 4 states. Maybe states which allow 'mountain doubles' (48' and a 28') might allow these. I know Navajo has a few of these 40'-ish double sets for very specific contracts.

And, as for 'turnpike doubles', I remember some 25+ years ago 1 company had a special permit to run double 57' trailers (of empty beer cans headed to the KCMO Budweiser bottling plant) down the Kansas turnpike. THAT looked like a handful!

As for Canada, If you are driving A-doubles, I believe 28'6" is the longest in Ontario. Lots of B-double variations, some with the longer forward, some with the shorter forward. Saw lots of B-double container rigs with a 20' on the lead and a 40' on the tail. 'Turnpike doubles' are allowed in Saskatchewan (I think?), but certainly in in Alberta. Don't know about MB, Yukon, or NWT, etc. "Train Routiers" in Quebec are similar to turnpike doubles, but are allowed only 9 months out of the year. But you wouldn't be able to get a rig like that across ON to get to PQ....

Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
    Dam1975 Thanks this.
  5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I know a few years back, double 48’s were allowed on the Indiana Toll Road. Drivers needed a special license, and I believe the tractors needed to able to at least maintain the posted minimum speed on inclines. Had heard a few stories of a few ‘trains’ being pulled over, and the company cited for failing to maintain speed.

Dam1975 Thanks this.
  6. Spardo

Spardo Light Load Member

Not sure that anyone can help you @Dam1975 from what you say. Whatever configuration you end up with I would have thought that the 40 foot/20foot limit has you snookered.

I drove A-triple trains in the Northern Territory of Australia back in the '60s before B-trains were even invented I think. So I have never driven a B-train and, apart from the overall length benefits, can't see the point of them. Obviously a view that is challenged by people with direct experience ;)

I suppose my view is formed by the fact that in the NT triples can be driven through some towns so the shorter cut in of an A setup is important,
    I'd be interested to see if you find a way though. :)

Dam1975 Thanks this.
  7. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I doubt BC will give you a permit for what is basically a divisible load, especially since you’d end up with so much overhang off the back. They’re pretty strict when it comes to tractor wheelbase and trailer length from what I can remember. The last time I was up there was 2018 and I had a 53ft trailer, 244” wheelbase tractor, and it was sort of a pain to get permits to haul 60ft beams.

I don’t know where you want to go or what you’re trying to accomplish but personally I wouldn’t want to be trying to get around Vancouver with over 80 feet of trailers behind me. WA and OR both limit how much trailer you can have with doubles and any overhang needs to be between the trailers, zero overhang on front or rear, so that’s a no-go for you there.

Dam1975 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.