Hauling us army equipment

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by scania142, Aug 8, 2012.

1. scania142

scania142 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I am a new O/O and have hauled a number of Generators, Jeeps and other items to and from Army bases throughout the Country. All of these loads came from Brokers. Does anyone know what is the procedure for getting set up with the government so I can be contacted directly when loads come available. I live right next to a base and have hauled a few loads out of there for Brokers from all over the Country. Any help would be appreciated.

SGTSmokdU Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    honestly it is more trouble than it is worth, since menlo got in it , the military stuff isnt what it used to be.

MNdriver Thanks this.
  4. Real Deal

Real Deal Medium Load Member

May 29, 2012
    Saint George UT
    After Menlo took over the shipping/receiving for the government it is hard if not impossible for a small trucking company to move this freight direct.They want to give the freight to the lowest bidder that can move some volume.If you are a one truck operation they won't even hardly talk to you.But you can go on the Conway/Menlo website to see the requirements.I think it is listed something like "Doing business with the government"

5. scania142

scania142 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Thank you, will the government only deal with Menlo or do the deal with small companies and O/O

6. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    Only menlo. It's not what it once was anymore. I'm leased at Landstar and we do military freight moves everyday. Just get to be an approved carrier with them and you can get in on it. Still basically a broker, but it's an option

7. Real Deal

May 29, 2012
    Saint George UT
    I don't think Menlo is moving 100% of the DOD freight but they do a lot.The bad thing is from what I see is some of the big companies like AATCO get the freight period.They know the low bid and if they don't like it they will get in touch with somebody else and drive it up.You will see High Plains,AATCO,and Conway do this all over the country.So as far as the Menlo freight goes the little guy doesn't have a chance. If you live near a base I would call the shipping dept and see how the handle business.If Menlo is not in there yet you have got to have common authority,file your tariffs,get a scac code,bribe the shipping lady and you are in.

8. Real Deal

May 29, 2012
    Saint George UT
    One of questions Menlo asks you is how many millions of dollars do you gross a year.They turned us down on that one.So we just try to stick with Landstar and AATCO now

9. Autocar

Autocar Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2012
    The Hot Rod Shop Oxford, AL
    The Menlo contract covers all FAK, except some unit moves and TPS (Transportation Protective Security) loads. FAK is Freight All Kinds, this is everything except munitions and explosives. FAK of a sensitive nature, arms and other items of a sensitive nature only ship on approved carriers that have the proper DOD clearances.

10. Cab Lizzard

Cab Lizzard Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    MIA
    I do know that the GAC takes bids on area's of the country that you want to serve from time to time

11. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.