Have accidents pls help..

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by KajunPie, Jun 20, 2018.

1. KajunPie

KajunPie Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2018
    The main community college near me has non credit course next to their cdl program listed on their site. Im sure it has to be credited correct?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Non-credit means it does NOT apply toward any educational degree such as Associates of Science. It's still good toward your CDL and the 160 hour of instruction many companies and insurance providers require.

KajunPie Thanks this.
  4. KajunPie

KajunPie Bobtail Member

Jun 11, 2018
    Lol sorry no college experience. Hence the pizza hut job and thank you for taking the time to explain that to me and not sarcastically ha ha

5. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    So you want to truck huh? I woke up at 2 am. Got to my truck at 3;30 and made my first stop at 5 am. After a long day and waiting 3 hours to get loaded, I envisioned a nice weekend at home. My truck broke down leaving the shipper. I was only 60 miles from home. Called TA roadside and the guy cane out but couldnt fix it. I was in the country so limped it into a small city and company called a tow truck. I just checked into a motel at 2:45. I hope you will enjoy a 24 hour day. Ahhhhh....the open road.

6. Dumdriver

Dumdriver Road Train Member

Jul 8, 2014
    East Coast
    I grew up in the restaurant industry. Opened up 6 of them (with the family I worked for, not for myself) and they’re all still there, making great money.

I had great success in that industry but wanted out the entire time. The stress of Saturday nights (please don’t snow on Saturday lol), employees, holidays, creating new holiday menus that were innovative enough to keep us as the go to place for special occasions, etc etc etc was tough. Not to mention when everyone was going out and doing things, I was working.

So, tired of working 12-14 hour days, every night and every weekend- I went into trucking. I’ve done both for many years each. I’ve had success in both. Could go back to the restaurant industry today if I wanted to.

My honest opinion? Restaurant biz is WAAAAYYYY easier. It’s also more rewarding. I had people every day of the week telling me how much they appreciated my creations. Very rewarding. As opposed to going to receivers who are actually irritated that I’m bringing the products THEY ORDERED!!! Lol.

Mistakes in the restaurant biz are much less stressful as well. Screw up someone’s food? Make it over. Screw up in trucking and you end up working at CRST or Carolina Cargo for a year. Lol

KajunPie Thanks this.
  7. Kentrucker

Kentrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2017
    I worked for Prime a year and at orientation there were over a 100 people only 40 made it they are very strict I would go with another outfit first and then apply with Prime once you got a year under your belt if you wanna work for them.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's not so much a barrier. My own record was less than nice when I started off long ago. If I got through it you can too.

The problem is the industry itself. They are hardening quite a bit. In my time when my stack of tickets got too hot so to speak I hopped onto a very tiny operation with a paving dump truck and trailer a while. They didnt give a *&%% about my record or anything as long i had a valid CDL. I don't recall medical either, we were not that kind of trucking. We in fact did very little actual driving. For me that was the ultimate workaround and it turned out to be one of my best work ever. I can go back to Maryland tonight and show up at 7 am either at the farm or at his truck and off we go. (If I had a license big enough for that work on public roads, on the farm it wont matter)

In time all things go away. Good and bad. Especially the bad. Up to a certain limit.

you do not ever want tickets for 15 and over, you do not want to roll her over. You do not want to kill people or injure them. And so on. You do also never want to be involved in stealing anything. You will be so out of the industry so fast. Drugs is the top of the heap. You might be a in a pot legal state. but it's absolutely not tolerated at all around semi trucks (Schedule one drug)

I had to burst out laughing when you wrote about driving like maw maw. Now think 40 ton and 18 wheeler with the ability to kill 30 cars worth of people should you slam into them near DC if they are all stopped dead.

You will have to be ahead of common car drivers. In fact, if someone exhibits to you a language through the actions of the vehicle wanting to cut you off, you already should be taking action before they actually decide to just do it.

Eventually enough close calls will accumulate on your mind as a trucker that they will become almost routine. Whoops here he comes hes gonna do this or that and you are already making room or doing what you have to long before he actually did this or that to you.

The other thing about trucking is learning to decompress or destress. You need to find something you enjoy very much that has nothing to do with your truck. You wont even want to see your truck during your time off. You will be far away doing something YOU enjoy. For me when younger it was either laser games fighting state policemen in the arena for points or bowling. One of those two. I miss fighting the state police actually. They show good teamwork and are very very very powerful opponets. Im just a so so bowler. But the actual doing something that's FUN and has nothing to do with trucking is a form of eliminating stress.

Im actually redrilling and making my ball from 14 to 11 light to accommodate degeneration of the bones and get back into bowling soon. Trucking for me is finished. But... I'll die a trucker. It's who I was and who I will ever be.

Tickets? HA. (Provided they are not certain KINDS of really BAD tickets...)

9-11 is the defining time line everything before is completely and totally different than everything after. If there was never a 9-11 I would probably still be trucking. Shrugs.

KajunPie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.