Have Cdl, but no experience. I can't go OTR because of parole.......

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by anthonyfant, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I agree with the advice @Chinatown gave to ask again. However I would advise caution in doing this. I would advise to wait until the next time you see this PO to ask. Some of these POs are supervising thousands of people. Last thing you want to become is a PITA.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    TransAm has a Texas Regional and they might hire you for that, if you graduate from cdl school.
    One guy in Dallas works there on that account and runs to Houston every day and back home in Dallas every evening.
    Some household movers might hire you if they don't require a bond. I don't know for sure though; that's a guess. These companies might let you drive box trucks or even 18 wheelers later within Texas.
    This can be hard work, but it's a start. Helping pack household goods or office furniture and loading/unloading trucks.

Aslin's American Movers, Inc.
    2806 Austin St, Texarkana

Bill's Movers
    1407 Texas Blvd, Texarkana

4. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Redi mix concrete or dirt aggregate haulers.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    You would be a good candidate for a trash truck. Pays better than McDonald’s and they hire felons no problem buddy

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Good idea, check with the companies that pick up garbage/trash in your area.
    www.homeadvisor.com should have a list of trash removal companies and curbside garbage companies such as Waste Management.

Cam Roberts Thanks this.
  7. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Excalibur Transportation in Texarkana run loads out of Cooper Tires to south Tx and DFW. Don't know what they want for experience.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I would advise caution here. Just because Texas is "in state" does not mean this person can be away from home over night. The OP needs to find out what their boundaries are first. If this OP is on "intensive" probation they can't leave their hometown without an OK. With the OPs statements about approvals I'm beginning to think the OP is anchored at home or at least that region. We will not know any of this until the OP tells us what their boundary is.

Farmerbob1 and Lepton1 Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Look into oil field companies. Texarkana should have quite a few options. Oil field drivers make good money. You can make better money if you get your tanker and hazmat endordendors. The hazmat might be an issue, depending on your crime, but if you can get it then absolutely, positively get it.

Good luck on your journey to life improvement.

10. Houndguy

Houndguy Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2018
    I would think any construction company would take you. A CDL comes in useful for them, again though I've no idea about the experience.

I've looked a little bit into Cement trucks but they all seem to want at least 6 months OTR experience here in Florida. Good luck

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Food service. They should have a small terminal/drop yard in your area and a bigger hub somewhere s in the state and shuttle trailers back and forth. It won’t pay as well as the delivery guys, but it will get your foot in the door.

Or try your local beer distribution warehouse. Hard work, and they will probably send you into the hood, but you’re bringing in the beer and everyone in the hood will be glad to see you.

Luck in battle.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.