Have I lost touch with this industry?

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by KANSAS TRANSIT, Apr 28, 2015.

1. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    May want to share where your hiring zones are?

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    And here I thought I had controversial threads. A ban, an argument, old vs new, where's the dancing girls at???? Lol. I've not been out here that long. 2001. But I grew up in it. And when I see these guys changing jobs every 5 minutes and crying about NYC or the northeast or Cali, I mean, I've only been out here a few years longer. We still had the 10/8 rule, lol. I don't get the me me me mentality. To me, you work at the employer's discretion. Not yours. You do everything you can to keep your job. I don't know. Its not like I was taught about the value of hard work. Not that what I do is hard. But I look at what I didn't have growing up, living in a bad neighborhood. I don't want to live like that again.

misterG, Pullin2, brian991219 and 8 others Thank this.
  4. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Look people today have more options, and that's great for society. Fact is, truck drivers from all specialities aren't making what they did 40 years ago, adjusted for inflation.

Stan can't change that on his own -- he can only command so much revenue before his competition will take over. But when the industry as a whole finally does have a true "driver shortage" -- rates will go up, employers will be able to pay more, and competent hard working folks will decide that trucking is a better option for them.

For now, you'll have a massive pool of societal dregs with a few diamonds mixed in. Find someone who loves driving, treat them well, & you can probably get away with paying them less than they might earn in another field.

But this isn't Soviet Russia -- you're not limited to one career for your entire lifetime. People with options are the "new breed" and they are here to stay (or go - as they please)...

5. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY

6. Terry270

Terry270 Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2014
    BG, KY
    Stan, the solution is hiring owner ops. Everywhere I look there is some idiot with a dually or semi running around for $1.50 or sometimes less per mile and thinking he is doing great because he apparently doesn't understand elementary math. Hell DAS somehow manages to find guys stupid enough to run their stingers for $2/mile!!

So why pay a guy $1500 a week free and clear when he will work for 2k a week after fuel and thinks thats what he "clears"

7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

I know your right was sitting in the lounge at CT. T/A guy sits next to me and starts telling me how good he is doing with LS said he was O/O with Gordon at 90 cpm went to LS and was tickled to death that he made 1800 last week.

Never told him I owned the company just told him I was adriver he asked what I made aweek so I told him 1500 a week, he didn't say much after that?

Now I never went to business school but everything that you are responsible as an O/O is worth more than 300 extra aweek first major repair he will be done.

8. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    we had a company driver would use his truck to deadhead around town on a day off
    one day he was parked at the Walmart 1 mile from the trailer repair place
    dispatch asked him if he would pick up a trailer bring it back to the shop
    2 miles away
    He said will do nothing for nothing especially on my day off
    He has moved on
    being a team player is my most valuable asset apparently it makes me one of the top drivers here
    or the rest are real bad

Hammer166, truckon and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  9. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Light Load Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Hendersonville, TN
    I have seen plenty of "New Drivers" that want to be home weekends, or do local work and make $60k a year. they do not want to assist in any unloading, want no responsibility. I have also seen drivers "New drivers" that want .50 cents per mile but want to be home every other night and still make over $60K a year. These new drivers have unrealistic expectations.

I have been a driver trainer and showed my students how to make money, stay out three to four weeks at a time, plan work around home time instead of planning home time around work.

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  10. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Good point and hers the deal after a lot of thought, yes I could probably get a guys time out down to two weeks out, But this is where the issues come in.

We don't run a lane like most transport companies we load out of Kansas and then take BEST available load, regardless of where it picks up or delivers, it is a stratigy that has served us well over the years and allowed us to pay more.

The problem that I run into is that havng to send a guy out and then take WHATEVER is available to get thatvdriver home in a short period is going to create a lot less income and more empty spaces on the trailer, so yeah I cann do it, but now is that driver that wants to be home every two weeks going to do it for 1000/1200 a week?

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  11. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    when the industry wants to make it worth my while to own a truck again maybe il go buy one again but no dang way im gona bust my can for .90 a mile when i can drive a new ungoverned truck with no elogs on a dedicated run for 1200 a week workin for a guy that treats me like gold .
    yeah my days off are monday and tuesday and when everyone else is havin fun on the weekends im workin which sucks but this is trucking not disneyland and i got bills to pay .
    i dont know what they tell new entrants to this biz but trucking is a service biz and if you dont provide service someone else will .

KANSAS TRANSIT and Town Drunk Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.