Have the home time rules changed?

Discussion in 'Swift' started by malinorn, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    So you include trucks that are dispatched on a load but shut down because of high wind as being 'sitting' and applying to the sitting truck category?

And the way you put it as... "another driver who won't drive cause it is too windy" seems to me to mean that the driver is shutting down when they don't really need to.
    Do you know how many lives are lost each year, how many loads, because a driver failed in the responsibility to shut down in dangerous conditions?
    Or don't you consider wind as dangerous?!.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. A21CAV

A21CAV Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Laredo, TX
    Firelotus, I recommend you just give it up. You have more than adequately proven you don't have a clue about the answer to the OP's question and you know even less about Swift's hometime policy. I also doubt you know much about trucking either in general or in detail.

MysticHZ Thanks this.
  4. FireLotus

FireLotus Light Load Member

Mar 26, 2017
    No.. I see where it came off like that... I should of included the driver that continued to drive in the wind, when he should of pulled off with the other driver who did. Because now the wind tipped over that truck, trailer and load..
    The most important thing is for a driver to not drive in bad weather conditions. It is far, far batter for all concerned that a driver pull over and park and wait out the weather.

It does no one any good for a driver to injure themselves or another, damage the truck, trailer or load just to risk driving in bad weather and having it go wrong.

Bad weather does happen, so on any given day at any given moment somewhere across the country there will be weather that will necessitate the need for a driver or more to pull off the road and park. Which iss the best decision that a good driver will make to insure that he, his truck, trailer and load remain safe which is the first and most important priority of a driver.

For that reason, any DMs board will not have 100% of the drivers and trucks on his board moving.

Also, Drivers need and Deserves Home Time... so the DMs board again, can not have 100% of his drivers and trucks moving. While Ideally the drivers on his board have scheduled hometime, sometimes a driver may need to take their normal hometime earlier to be home for a birthday or wedding, or may have gotten delayed by weather, shipping delays, road closures and taking their hometime later.

Driver do need their home time and there is a plethora of statistical data that proves that prove it is in everyone's best interest to get drivers home regularly. Not all drivers require getting home weekly, some do better getting home every other week, some do better staying out longer and having more days home when they get home. It serves the DM better to get his drivers the hometime they need.

I do understand that I have a tendency to explain things in an academic, strategic, statistical manner.. I apologize as that is probably the product of two years in classes, internships, and externship in logistics and supply chain management to obtain my business degree.

As one of my favorite professors always said.. "it all works great until you add the people... " so from a business sense taking this truck from that driver during hometime and giving it to the driver who is in the hotel waiting for a truck, so he can run that load on the board that needs delivered.. makes sense... but, no it does not factor in the human emotional factor as business often does not.... It's not personal, it's strictly business...

But, ultimately yes, the DMs numbers will be such that even with weather, shipping delays, trucks in the shop, etc, ... the numbers are such, that they don't need to take a truck from a driver on hometime...

5. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    It's academic and naive. It appears that, although you may have successfully checked off the requirements of your degree, I think you have yet to fully grasp the concepts.

JOHNQPUBLIC and A21CAV Thank this.
  6. FireLotus

Mar 26, 2017
    Okay you are right.. the reasons decisions are made has nothing to do with business.. it is just what driver they want to dump on and what driver they don't...

7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    You missed the point ... You don't truly understand business yet. Much less how to manage yet.

All that drivel about DMs managing their board. Ask yourself why? What is the DMs objective and why?

And last you better put people into the equation. They're not an after thought, they are one of the cores you need to satisfy to have a successful business

A21CAV Thanks this.
  8. FireLotus

Mar 26, 2017
    I was originally responding to a post about why some drivers are dumped on and others not...

I started by just pointing out some of the reasons, other than just dumping on a driver that is why the hypothetical situations do a DMs board were even brought up.. it was never meant to be as an absolute strategy and SOP..

The reverse is also true... trying to explain to a DM who is looking at how much " time" a driver has to run a load and doesn't understand why a driver is saying he doesn't have the time... maybe the driver is factoring in that he will need to stop at the flying J for a restroom break.. he knows that particular flying J and that it will take 20 minutes... a lot of DMs have never been in a truck... they don't understand how to factor the time it takes to pull off and go to the restroom... because they can whip in to a gas station in their car and use the rest room in much less time... it is also hard for them to grasp why a driver in a different state at a different flying J can get it done in less time...

You know all the factors that make it easier and faster to get in and out of... from the frontage road, to the lay out and the congestion to name a few...

It is the same.. I am only stating factors.. not adding the driver.. one walks faster, one is better at backing, one stops to talk to everyone...

Just the non human factors...

And again, It started just to point out that it is not always just a company dumping on a driver.. sometimes there are other factors...

9. FireLotus

Mar 26, 2017
    One more thing you won't like..

A driver who feels they are getting dumped on all the time...

Is probably a driver who knows very little about the other aspects and departments in the industry..

Probably wonders why his truck always takes longer in the shop..

Doesn't know how to negotiate or communicate effectively with his DM.. or probably even the shippers/receivers...

And to the original topic.. hometime...

And my original response that recruiters are not what determine your hometime...

10. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    We all know that the only job recruiters do is get people into orientation

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.