Have you ever encountered a low bridge?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by snowbird_89, May 15, 2012.

1. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Long Island City is a pain in the rear for sure as is most of the 5 boroughs

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. corona36

corona36 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2012
    Springfield, MA
    Love this! :biggrin_2559:

4. dirtyjerz

dirtyjerz glowing beard pouty kid

Jun 7, 2011
    Playing in Traffic
    The place i go to in long island city isnt bad. I run the bqe, get off at mcguiness ave. Run mcguiness thru brooklynn over the bridge. Then continue on 11th st down to 43ave. No low bridges on the route or anything.

Now ozone park or richmond hill can be a pita. Came across one on woodlawn marked 11'8". Glad i was in a daycab at the time with 11'5" stacks :biggrin_25525:

5. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    Ive gotten a truck route ticket for making a delivery. 400 dollars and two points. Going to fight it later this year. Not all truck routes are clear to drive on, castle hill, westchester ave, and white plains rd all have low bridges and train tracks everywhere

6. FatDaddy

FatDaddy Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Katy, TX or Swedesboro, NJ
    Wow :biggrin_2555:

7. Ex-Con-Trucker

Ex-Con-Trucker Medium Load Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Atlanta, Ga
    Yeah, Long Island City isn't as bad as some of the other places I have to go. LIC is alright because it mostly stretches along 495.

Last month, I had to drop in Austoria, which is on the coast across from Manhattan, in between 495, and 278, then drive 10 miles through downtown Queens, then Brooklyn to get to South Brooklyn. Freaking nightmare. I had to use every inch of space available to make some of the turns. Driving in NYC can be like doing a hard ### cross word puzzle.

I'm headed back South now, so hopefully I have a few weeks before going back.

The day I'm speaking of above, I had to go on roads I knew #### well wasn't a truck route. In NYC, sometimes you have to do what you have to do without hitting anything. With a sleeper, and 53 foot trailer, I'm just glad to get in and out, and to get the job done. It seems every road in NYC had a low bridge if you stay on it long enough.

8. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    I was on a FM Road in TX after dropping and headed to a pick-up 30 miles North....
    No markings in the atlas or on the GPS......Had RR trestle with 10' of clearance come up.....No signs from the county.....I guess in TX.....You just have to know......:biggrin_2556:

Since it was in BFE....I just backed-up with the 4-ways and headed another way....No biggie....

9. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    I have set off the alarms at the Eisenhower tunnel a couple times......

First time I had cable travelers....They sat 14' 2" on the front.....Of course on the ground when they were measured....They were legal.....

2nd time....Running cans that had snow on the roofs......

It's funny as hell when the alarms go off and CDOT runs out in a panic.....:biggrin_25523:

10. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    can't say this is a a tip. two encounters, once near Rochester New York, can't recall the hywy, a bridge for a train crossed the route given by the company, I stopped before the bridge backed out then figured out another way around by using the road atlas, locals didn't know how to get around 21 miles of low clearances. had backtrack to Rochester to go around

second time, on a route given by company, the clearance was roughly an inch stopped before bridge and crawled through , state, hyway? I don't recall.

point being, if I'm in question, flashers go on, I'll stop or pull over if possible then take it from there.

11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    I went under one marked 13' 7" today. High pucker factor.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.