Have you worked for a food service company?

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by slim66, Apr 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peco013

peco013 Bobtail Member

Apr 10, 2007
    I worked at a company called Frachise Food Service out of Columbus Ohio. We did a lot of KFC's In the middle of the night in cities like Pittsburg and St.louis. Some of these stores in very bad parts of town. We have had more than a few drivers robbed!!! Before you go to a food service company find out if they do key drops or not. I went right out of school to food service now I have enough years to not have to do it anymore.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. grunt90

grunt90 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Pa
    i work for reinharts food service. hard work some key drops we service subways.be prepared for long hours but are home every night just to tired to do anything also leave early in the morning.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    The problem with this type of work is that the company's revenue comes not from the truck, but from the retail sale of their product. That way, they can afford to have you do all sorts of extra work, like breaking down skids, inside deliveries, and even stocking the shelves.

I'll pass. I prefer to just drop the skid next to the door, get the bill signed, and leave.

5. grunt90

grunt90 Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2007
    Pa
    were do you work mack sounds like a good deal this job is wearing me out had 70 hrs in this week.

6. Drifter1948

Drifter1948 Light Load Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Brantford Ont. Canada
    Currently and for the last 12 years I have been in F/S, yes it is very labour intensive. After 28 years OTR, I got into this and for the first 3-4 weeks wondered what I had done to myself, "every" muscle in my body hurt from phsical exertion, up stairs down stairs, long walks pushing an overloaded two wheeler and keeping it balanced. Now at 60 y/o I am in excellent shape pysically, get to spend every weekend off with my family and grandkids.
    With seniority comes better runs and easier deliveries. It has to be earned with reliability and sweat, Good Luck with your choices..

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

He won't tell you since he prefers to keep that info to himself, but it's a company along the lines of Roadway, Yellow, ABF and others that do deliveries and shipping. Look for the companies on the highway doing 28 foot doubles and you will find some possibilities. Some of those companies are unionized, some aren't. You might find yourself doing dockwork to get a foot in the door with them, but it is work with daily hometime.

8. TomN

TomN Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Hey, I work for a food service company called MBM out of Columbus Ohio. Got my CDL's all most a year ago and didnt want to go over the road and this is what i found. The work is hard and i am far from lazy used to doing labor work, I think one thing to think about is how do you feel about driving a few hours unloading some stores and driving some more and unloading some more, tougher than it sounds. Driving in its self wears you out but combined with unloading 40,000 pounds in a couple of days makes it worse. I put 70 hours a week in on extra board and still they want me to go-go-go. I just got home this morning, drove from Columbus to Nashville unloaded 3 stores abot 20,000 pounds then got up at 2 am drove an hour unloaded 4 stores and drove home 2 day route i had 38,600 pounds in a day and half to unload. Being on extra board where you will start you take what they have you may do that much in one day route or 3 day's it depends. If you ask me the money really isnt worth all that you do but i do have more home time than a otr driver does. I am looking forward to getting my year in and maybe moving on. I was hoping for a bid but i was to low on the list so i had no choice but to stay on extra board and they love to run those guys as much as they can. Oh and in Nashville it was 105 degree's out side yesterday and in the winter when its cold your still out there. One guy mentioned about being robbed i have been luck so far but i have talked to drivers who have been and my dad works for a food service company and has been a couple of times. If you do go for it my advice is keep 2 wallets with you your real one in truck and a throw away one in your pocket maybe have a couple of bucks in it. Well good luck hope we all helped you out.

9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you, Burky.

I'm a city driver for an LTL company. I work a rural area so I can't really complain. Granted, some days can be rough, but they're not all like that.

I don't tell anyone who I work for because I was ratted out once on another website. A former terminal manager where I work decided to pull exactly the sort of funny business that I attack management personnel for here. That's why I have no patience for that sort of thing.

10. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Oh I was careful. I wasn't gonna rat you out.

11. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    No biggie. I knew that.

But I did make the mistake of posting my truck number on that other website. That had to be how he got me. A while after that the site crashed, giving me the chance to register under another name. They sure won't get me a second time.

Funny thing is, the TM I referred to doesn't even work here anymore.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.