Having some truck issues with a new company and needing advice.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mougle, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Mougle

Mougle Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Hey all you awesome people, so a little over a week ago i finished my month on the road with my trainer and i was all wide eyed to be seated in my own rig and making some money. Welp, the truck they gave me was dead in the corner of the lot and i found out from my trainers dm it had been to the dealer twice for transmission issues.

I spent a week at the shop getting the transmission looked at, getting the engine lights checked out, and a brake air issue fixed. So a couple days ago i took it a few hours away to san Diego to get a load. Everything was fine besides a little bit of a rough shift but it was manageable.

On the way back it would randomly jerk and give a "starter blocked, shift to neutral" message and sometimes a "transmission will not shift" along with both check engine lights flashing. This is a 2019 freightliner Cascadia by the way. On 215 during rush hour it decided to get stuck in 9th gear and dies in the right line (barricades were up so no where to really go besides as far right as i could). I Googled a transmission reset for the truck and managed to get it back to the shop i was stuck at for a week which was about 20 minutes away from where i was at.

Im currently waiting for the shop to look at it again but it seems like an issue that won't go away. Any suggestions for what to do with this situation? Ive been hanging tight and im still extreamly green so i dont want to just leave the company because of one bad truck, but they seem hell bent on sticking me with this one and it really dosent seem safe when the transmission can give out at any time. Kinda left twiddling my thumbs here

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    You getting any kind of down time pay?
    If they don't make it right in your eyes, go somewhere else.

4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Very simple. Tell them you want a different truck. PERIOD! That is unacceptable, not to mention unsafe. What Company is this? If you won't mention the name, Is it a Mega or a small outfit. The Megas have plenty of other tractors in their inventory.

5. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    If they won't budge, go talk to the SAFETY DIRECTOR. That usually gets somebody's attention real quick.

6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Never hsd that problem with a manual transmission, lol. But anyway, your new so just stick it out. It can only get better from here. For your own good, Wait till you have a year in before moving on.

firemedic2816 Thanks this.
  7. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Light it on fire

or start going up the ladder for a different truck

austinmike, Lumper Humper and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    It is probably one of the newer air assist automatics

rachi and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    If you're not under contract with the company, switch companies.

shooter19802003 and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  10. Cobrakaiguy

Cobrakaiguy Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2020
    Dallas
    Sounds like you hooked on to a crap company, tell them new truck or you put in your two weeks, check indeed and see what driving jobs are in your area of Cali, you should not have a hard time finding something else.

Lumper Humper and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  11. Mougle

Mougle Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2021
    Im from Louisiana, and yeah its a mega company, ill just say the name is very similar to Eestern Wxpress, and supposedly they're going to be working on it again tommorow so we will seen.

Im under a 6 month contract i belive but to get out is 2,500 which im already saving for because im planning on leaving after 3 months after more doors open up. I just didn't want to ruin my record or look like i hop ship every time something gets rough

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.