having trouble downshifting 10 speed in the lower gears

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Catrachotrucker, Mar 31, 2020.

1. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

With your foot on the brake pedal and stick on the lowest gear, let go of the clutch very slowly until you feel the truck trying to move forward. Then let go of the brake and the clutch.

It’s nice how automatic trucks hold the brakes on an uphill so you don’t roll back.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Catrachotrucker

Catrachotrucker Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2019
    So you tap the throttle to 900-1100 RPM to downshift in the low range? I drive a 2014 Cascadia with a Detroit

4. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yea a slight tap and float her in there

5. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    Make a mental note of the RPM and MPH at the top of each gear. At that speed and that RPM the trans will float into gear. Remember you MPH is decreasing while you are shifting.

tommymonza and Catrachotrucker Thank this.
  6. Catrachotrucker

Catrachotrucker Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2019
    I usually shift at 1500-1600 RPM so if I downshift to 4th gear at the top MPH for that gear and tap the throttle to 1500-1600 RPM it should float into gear without grinding right? I’ll have to memorize that

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You add clutch and power just so. As much as needed to hold it. Once the Clutch grabs enough to rotate the drives add more power but hold clutch a moment right there then let em out gently all the way. Once clutch is out add the rest of the tach RPM.

Some hills she will do it for you but not have enough to try the next gear. You stay in that one.

That would be one situation there is a trolley bar under the steering wheel for trailer brakes. Lock them, release and start adding fuel and clutch in the time before your trailer releases all the way she should be pulling by then.

DO NOT whatever you do dump that clutch and slam into your drive train, you will take the bite out of the transmission spline gear. The one that transfers to your driveshaft. Very expensive.

8. Ugminer

Ugminer Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2020
    When I was blaster every now an then a dozer or end dump or something would make me have to stop on the ramp comming out of the pit. An some times I'd get lucky an get it witch only happened a cpl times. other times I cheated an set parking break

9. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Your our tranny is not going to like that. Figure around 1100 to a 1000 than blip the pedal and grab the lower gear if your are downshifting to slow down .

When climbing a hill I figured around 1300 is when the power band would soon drop off the cliff so drop the gear and grab the next hopefully In the 1700 range.

10 speeds suck climbing real grades without enough power.

Too large of a ratio between 10 and 9 and 9and 8 not so bad after that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.