Having trouble getting my DOT Medical Card, aortic stenosis

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by alec552, Sep 16, 2018.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    If you can get the heart doctor to sign off on you, key word being mild (Show him the measurement limits via the DOT medical Examiners rule book) you should be able to get a waiver or a actual DOT card to drive the big trucks. If he knows anything at all specifically for your condition, he should be able to sprout in plain language that your valves and so on have to be this big and move this much fluid and not less. (As mine did)

Even better, get him to take a minute and type up a friendly briefing also in plain language in case you meet a Dr. DUH M.D. who does not know anything about big word babbling diagnosis. (Too many wiping common colds and holding hands of nervous mothers)

Ask your heart doctor what foods, drinking and so on hurts your condition even worse in the future. And be careful not to be doing any of those things if you want to keep trucking.

You probably will be challenged every time you try to change Jobs, KEEP all the paperwork forms given to you by the Concentra Doc (Especially if you have her or his name and DEA number or License number) location and state in which the test was given by that person to you with date and time. And that given to you by the heart doctor.

The more paper you accumulate, the easier it is to counter challenge inside the next DOT doctor who waffles and gets cold feet. (Poor thing... needs a little bar time or getting laid...)

Rideandrepair and Brettj3876 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Good for you. The worlds full of people telling you what you can’t do. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

paul_4lp and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You know why I became a trucker don't you?

My family (About 300...) loved to talk about the deaf kid as if I was not in the house listening to some of them as a child.

They talked about how deaf people will never grow up to do anything, especially not trucking. You (The parents) will be raising that special deafie for 60 years of your life here at home.

Fast forward around 13 years. I get the Class A, the news spread like wild fire to about 200 plus that were still alive. I am a trucker now. Look for me on the beltway in the morning sometime.

Half o them at least fell to the chair, paused a minute then told my parents on the phone HELL NO. I aint having a stupid deafie in a 18 wheeler with me on the road.

Like it or not, they got put on the ignore list and all of them have passed at one time or another. I don't know anything about that. It's not my concern they are not family anymore.

The problem was up to the 1970's era many people showed distaste for handicapped because they will never produce anything other than a 600 dollar monthly SSI check for all the life time around 75 years. After that generation died off and more deaf people get into important jobs things change.

And how they have changed.

The fastest way to get me to do something is to specifically tell me no I aint doing it.

Yea right.

5. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I wish you all the best. I have heard both good things about Concentra and bad things as well. I mean it when I say I wish you well. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer though, have you give any thought to your next move if that heart doc won't sign off? The problem is the ME that did your exam has transferred responsibility for your heart condition in regard to your fitness to drive to this heart doc. It would shock you the amount of heart docs that will not take on that responsibility. In fact I have CAD and see a VA heart doctor. Several months ago I asked him an innocent question about my fitness to drive and he said NO! Most heart docs are more concerned about stress. Hopefully all will be OK. I am in your corner. Good luck!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Spincycled

Spincycled Bobtail Member

Aug 30, 2018
    How's
    Hows It going? Did your heart doctor do the tests and sign off? I had the same tests done and waiting for the results.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I agree I’ve asked them to say it again I need the motivation.I have a very good friend who is deaf.Ive seen the ignorant discrimination firsthand.Ive seen Him work at Carwash because no one would hire him.Luckily he got called back to Ford after almost 10 yrs .I looked him up a few yrs back.Still same Tough as Nails and a Great Attitude towards Life.Im headed home for a week gonna go see him as I just found out from him that his wife passed away in August.He can’t believe I remember ASL he taught me.Despite being deaf due to fever a age 3 both alcoholic Parents committing suicide at age 6 bouncing around in foster homes till around 13 finally landing across the street from me in foster home owned by a Saint of a woman He never gives up.Now he’s about to retire he earned it .All He ever asked for was a chance.Im glad he got it. And you too!!!God Bless Be Safe

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It's all good. You are welcome.

Some people think, aww he or she is deaf what a shame. I turn that around and ask them consider this.

A grasshopper on the hood of your car facing the wind on the road.

You and I and they know its a dumb old grasshopper unable to comprehend the world around it much. I prefer to say no... it's blessed because it does not know it's supposed to be just a dumb grasshopper. Follow me?

People who do well with things wrong with them as viewed by Society are the lucky ones because there is nothing wrong with them at all.

IT is we who have things wrong with US from time to time.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Have someone else take the physical for you.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I know of somebody that did that. Paid them to do it. passed the physical with flying colors. The MEs I thought were supposd to check IDs, looks like some don't

paul_4lp and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I know some guys did that to join the military. Might not be possible today due to biometrics, but not sure.
    I knew one guy that wanted in the Navy and had some problem, maybe a criminal record or physical problem, but anyway, his friend passed and was due to leave soon, but had a heart attack and died. The other guy took his enlistment package and shipped out under the dead guys name. That was when "service numbers" were used, but now "social security " numbers are used.

paul_4lp Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.