HAZMAT and overheated tires. Remove it?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Flankenfurter, Feb 20, 2021.

1. oldtrucker66

oldtrucker66 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2015
    digital infrared laser thermometer

Flankenfurter and Rodeorowdy Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flankenfurter

Flankenfurter Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    USA
    Just the other day in class I remembered I had one of those laser temperature monitors. I can use that to help get used to "feeling" the temp by hand. I'm hoping my truck (company driver) will have a tire monitor on it.

4. Flankenfurter

Flankenfurter Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    USA
    JUST saw your post after I replied. LOL.

oldtrucker66 Thanks this.
  5. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Don't worry about all of the little things that could go wrong. Stay focused on getting that CDL
    All tires will be warm after running, except maybe in the snow and ice. If you can hold your hand on it and it doesn't burn you then it's ok. Most tire fires are caused by overheated brakes or hubs, and you can usually smell them when doing your walk around. Keep your tires properly inflated and chances are you will never have a hot tire problem.

peterd and Flankenfurter Thank this.
  6. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    I use the hand method, if I can't touch the tire with my hand, it's too hot and needs to cool down, same applies to the hub assembly (which can also cause the tire to overheat).

This is one of things that will be dependent on what you do and haul. I have a friend who is an O/O pulls a reefer, he has a side box on the reefer that he carries everything he needs to change a tire on the side of the road. Number of years back, watched a heavy haul driver swap out a set of wheel bearings on 12 axle setup in a rest area parking lot, he had all the parts needed to do it with him. But, the correct answer is to stop frequently and check tires, brakes, hubs for overheating and slower speeds.

Flankenfurter Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.