Hazmat and parking at a gas station?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nyseto, Feb 22, 2019.

1. Nyseto

Nyseto Light Load Member

Jan 30, 2018
    So I’m working on getting my hazmat/tanker/doubles & triples endorsements all added to my CDL, and there was a question regarding hazmat that you must park at least 300 feet away from a building if you’re hauling 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 (explosives). How does that work exactly if you need to fuel up?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    That's not parking. That's fueling.
    Get your fuel and park at the proper clearance.
    You're thinking too hard.

Or, you could do like a bunch of em do and park along the red striped fire lane beside the building.. throw your 4way "park anywhere" lights on, and go inside to eat and shower.
    I think that's an unwritten exemption.

patsy, 88 Alpha, WesternPlains and 2 others Thank this.
  4. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    If you haul that class of HM, your carrier has to have a plan that covers that and you WILL be schooled in the plan. Table one explosives have the hardest row to hoe when it comes to extra stuff...

lovesthedrive and Lepton1 Thank this.
  5. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    I have never moved exsplosives. I have moved flammable acid.

slim shady Thanks this.
  6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

While fueling you are attending the vehicle, just like while you are driving it or it's being loaded/unloaded and you are inside the truck. You are literally within arms reach of the truck.

MOST misinformation about HazMat comes from not knowing what parking means or when you are abandoning a vehicle. YOU WILL NOT BE HAULING EXPLOSIVES. Every other form of HazMat, off the top of my head, you park in any LEGAL (NOT CREATIVE) parking spot and you are OK. You cannot necessarily park it and then fly off for a 5 week cruise to Tahiti, but you can park it and eat, sleep, shower, etc. There is no requirement for a Presidential motorcade, SEAL Team 6 protection detail, or B-52s orbiting overhead to walk into the Taco Bell and order. If the govt tests says blow your nose before making a left turn, that's the answer. Don't think about it. It's a test, not real life.

bottomdumpin Thanks this.
  7. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    No greater words of wisdom have ever been spoken on this forum.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What should be on the test is definitions like attended vehicle. I say this because of what one of my former drivers did, she fueled her truck up at a pilot in Ohio with a load of class one cargo, went inside and got her fuel reciept, then went took a dump, then went and got a sub for later, then went shopping to use her points >>>> all the while she had the truck parked at the pumps with an unattended hm load. When the manager told her to move the truck, she told him to ********** off. I got the call from the manager and I didn't take it lightly. She was fired at the receiver and the truck taken back to the yard in Indiana.

9. robinrene

robinrene Light Load Member

Jun 3, 2012
    Gypsy, USA
    Hi!
    I haul explosives every gd day

Fuel as usual, try to take the outside lanes if you can.
    You are supposed to do one tank at a time, bc you have to be controlling the nozzle.

You can't park near buildings, bridges, or on the shoulder on exit ramps.

You also have a to stay within view of the truck up to 25'

So if you gotta poop, you have to wake up your partner.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.