Hazmat Endorsement cancelled my CDL?

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Generictrucker, May 11, 2022.

1. pumpkinishere

pumpkinishere Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2021
    Wow we need to let our uncle in on this. He currently has his hazmat but when he comes to work for us we are not planning on getting hazmat insurance so guessing his will lasp. So he actually needs to tell license branch to take it off his his license won’t be suspended.

CAXPT and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    So.....it would appear that it is "hazardous" to lose your hazmat rating? :p:D

--Lual

4. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Consider it a blessing, my friend. I never had HazMat, mostly because I kept failing the test, so I told them to K my A, and just refused the loads that were HazMat. It didn't pay any better, and the test was a hassle. This industry is for the $#its today, I strongly suggest you do something else. You know, just as an example of other things to do, cannabis products are a BILLION dollar/year industry today, with no stupid tests, you don't have to use it. What the heck are you guys putting up with this crap for? No wonder they can't find drivers,,:dontknow:

CAXPT and Another Canadian driver Thank this.
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    How much are cannabis shippers paying per mile?

201 and CAXPT Thank this.
  6. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    The endorsement rides with the license, have him keep it, but obviously dont book hazmat, similar to tanker endorsement, my brother has it and doubles/triples, hasnt used those in 5 years, but no sense removing it from the license.

Hazmat is more annoying im sure, but with the new regulation, itll be less hassle for him to keep his endorsement than having him remove it if he ever wants it back

CAXPT Thanks this.
  7. #1 Kenworth

#1 Kenworth Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New England
    Anyone getting their HazMat endorsement are usually good for 5 years in most states although it can vary in different states! In Tennessee if you allow your HazMat endorsement to expire BEWARE! Your CDL will be canceled until you either get it taken off of your license or renew it! Trust me today is May 6th 2022 and this morning I woke up to find out that my license was canceled I had to go down and spend 5 hours at Tennessee DMV to get that HazMat endorsement taken off of my license and my license reinstated! Unbelievable
    From Truckers report new drivers section 7/21/16

tscottme and CAXPT Thank this.
  8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    One of the problems with Hazmat is it is a Federal thing, good for exactly 5 years, to the day, from when it was issued. But on most, if not all states, the cdl expires of your birthday, even ifyou were to renew it months ahead of time. I'm in Arkansas now where my cdl is only good for 4 years, so the 5 year hazmat thing doesn't affect me anymore. But when I lived in Texas, which has a 5 year license, I did notice it could be a problem. As the DPS requests, I went it a couple months early to do my background check and fingerprinting. came back in mid August while my CDL expired on my birthday in October. When I got my new license, it didn't expire until 5 years later on my birthday. But on the back it said that the Hazmat endorsement expired in mid August exactly 5 years after the license was issued. I don't know if Texas would have cancelled my license because I moved to Arkansas before it expired.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  9. CAXPT

CAXPT Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Michigan
    Same thing here in Michigan. Got mine renewed in 2018, now it's time to do it all over again for 2022. But at least it's clean..the TWIC still has another year on it, though...and the FAST is not being renewed since Canada wants you to be vaccinated...and I'm not a guinea pig. :) Haven't used it since I got it, now I don't want it. :)

CastleNut, tscottme and kemosabi49 Thank this.
  10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I had this exact thing happen to me while I was on the road. I signed up for a walk-in appointment back home to get fingerprints taken. Since it was walk-in and I was OTR I didn't think that one walk-in appointment was treated like a last chance. If I was home, I would go. If I wasn't home I would walk-in some other time or place. When I missed the original appointment it started a clock and when it ran out TN treated it like I drove beyond the expiration of my HazMat. So, BEFORE my HazMat expired TSA notified TN my HazMat was expired because I didn't complete renewing it so many days BEFORE the expiration date on my CDL. Since I was using HazMat and would keep needing HazMat I just completed all steps to renew HazMat. I completed all requirements (fingerprints, TSA approval letter, computer test, etc) before the original HazMat expiration date and got it renewed. I think all you have to do is walk in to a Driver License station near you and have the HazMat endorsement taken off of your CDL. You will get a new paper copy of CDL immediately and a new plastic CDL mailed to your address. BTW, if you have a mailing address and a CDL you can only update or begin using a mailing address, not physical address, by visiting the DMV/Driver License office spread around the state. You DO NOT have to go to the sate office in Nashville, just the office near you or in your county.

State of TN is dreadful with both HazMat and Self-Certification of a new DOT Medical Exam/Card. With either item make sure you get written proof that the State of TN has been updated with your renewal of HazMat and/or new DOT Medical Exam/Card. Now, I not only submit the update online. After I submit I call and ask the clerk to verify she has the new info in my file. I carry around that written proof from the State. I have had the state tell me on the phone "we have everything we need" and then get a letter from them 2 weeks later saying "because you have not submitted X ( the thing they told me on the phone they have) you have 10 days to submit it or your license is canceled.

CastleNut and CAXPT Thank this.
  11. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I had the same issue. State of TN never notified me. The only notice anyone got about me was TSA sent a letter to my employer saying as of a certain date because my HazMat was expiring my CDL would be suspended or canceled. I forgot the word they used. I got it taken care of and there is no record I can find that my CDL was ever not valid. If you get it corrected quickly, you should have ZERO problem.

CAXPT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.