Hazmat endorsement EDLT training for current CDL holder

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by -Clem, Jan 16, 2022.

  1. -Clem

    -Clem Bobtail Member

    Jun 9, 2019
    Anyone figured out how this is going to work exactly? I already have my CDL but I'm looking to get my hazmat. By now it's going to be after Feb 7 (scheduled to get my fingerprints Jan 25). I haven't been able to find any courses that are specifically for hazmat only. I looked at a bunch of the approved schools and all they talk about is the full CDL course.
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  3. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    It's just a simple test.
    One is on this forum. Scroll to top of this page and click on the three horizontal bars. There' you'll see the tests questions and answers.
  4. -Clem

    -Clem Bobtail Member

    Jun 9, 2019
    I'm not worried about the test. Problem is after Feb 7, you won't even be allowed to take the test until you've received training from an approved school.

    Training Provider Registry

    But I can't find out how or where to get that training.
    Chinatown Thanks this.
  5. brian991219

    brian991219 Road Train Member

    Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    As long as you have your permit prior to Feb. 7th the ELDT is not required. But if you don't have the permit by then you will need to yake the training which is hard toncome by at the moment, likely will be thru a school and then the whole class. I haven't seen anything for just the endorsements yet.
  6. jimmydsmith7

    jimmydsmith7 Bobtail Member

    Dec 29, 2021
    I had the same question. I live in Texas, I have my CLP. Ask that same question, going to take my skills text on Feb.28th. I ask the DMV, since I wont have my CDL until after Feb. 7th, what do I do about endorsements. Was told that since I had my CLP prior to the Feb. 7th deadline, I am exempt from the ELDT and can schedule and come take the Hazmat, Tanker and Double/ Triple endorsements like in the past. Only those who do not have their CLP until after the Feb.7th deadline fall under the new regulation.
  7. magritton

    magritton Bobtail Member

    Apr 7, 2021
    I did the class online at Drive 509, they had an online class at a reasonable price. Required by the communist state of Washington.

    Chinatown and -Clem Thank this.
  8. dibstr

    dibstr Road Train Member

    Sep 10, 2010
    If you have taken the HM test prior to Feb 7 you are ok. Feb 7 and later you will need a training provider which must cover all these topics for a HM endorsement. There should be providers that offer online courses.

    1) Basic Introductory HM Requirements

    2) Operational HM Requirements

    3) Reporting HM Crashes and Releases

    4) Tunnels and Railroad (RR)-Highway Grade Crossing Requirements

    5) Loading and Unloading HM

    6) HM on Passenger Vehicles

    7) Bulk Packages

    8) Operating Emergency Equipment

    9) Emergency Response Procedures

    10) Engine (Fueling)

    11) Tire Check

    12) Routes and Route Planning

    13) Hazardous Materials Safety Permits (HMSP)
  9. -Clem

    -Clem Bobtail Member

    Jun 9, 2019
    Thanks so much! This is the first real lead I've found so far in that they specifically mention the ELDT regulations offering a hazmat-only course. I take it you have a Washington CDL? I just emailed them to ask if they can confirm that their course will work for me even though my CDL is from a different state.

    Edit: To clarify my situation for the other responders: I *already have a CDL*. Not a permit. And I have not applied to take the hazmat test yet as I have to do the background check first (my state requires this to be done first, before the test). By the time the background check is done and I hear back from them it will be after Feb 7.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  10. -Clem

    -Clem Bobtail Member

    Jun 9, 2019
    For what it's worth, if it helps anyone else in the future I stumbled on midwesttruckdrivingschool.com and took their online course. $99 for an hour long video and simple multiple choice test, and proof of my ELDT certification is in the DMV's system.
    Maverick Griff and Chinatown Thank this.
  11. Jenkins2020

    Jenkins2020 Light Load Member

    May 28, 2020
    I got my hazmat online training from driving-tests.org. Cost $50. You answer about 400 questions and then you're done. I had already took and passed the hazmat test at the end of January. However, it wasn't technically on my license by Feb 7th because I was waiting on my background check to complete, so I still had to pay for the class. Really sucked.

    I hope I don't have to do that class again to renew it
    Maverick Griff Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

    Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

    Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

  • Draft saved Draft deleted