Headache rack, DIY?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by dngrous_dime, Feb 26, 2024.

1. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Are there any regs that dictate if I can build my own headache rack or not? Reason being, I want to add a Predator 5000 genset to my truck, and I'd rather keep it up on the catwalk to avoid road debris and gunk. The only thing I would be storing on the rack is chains and binders, I would have an underbody tool box for pretty much everything else. (Nearly 48" of room on passenger frame rail)
    So, what I'm thinking of doing is using 2x4 box steel to create horizontal "legs", to be clamped to frame rails just like standard headache racks, and 2x2 box for the uprights. 2x2 angle iron for the top cross bar, and cross-bracing further down. This would also keep chains from swinging and slapping my cab. I might even skip the angle iron hanger, and mount the locking chain rack pieces that are available. I overbuild everything I do, so this would likely be all 3/16 thick, unless 1/8 would be plenty adequate. I would have the chain boxes mounted about 28" off the catwalk, so there's a big hole between the legs to mount the penny.
    Opines?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    Some of the company trucks that I Sub for have modified their headboards due to short wheelbase and no room on the side frame. I’ve seen them with tool boxes welded between the rails of the headboard frame center. No issues from DOT.

CAXPT and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  4. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    Headache racks aren't even required. So there's no laws about them. As far as DOT is concerned they are decorative parts.

Also remember that all that steel just increases your empty weight reducing what you can haul. There's a reason most commercial racks are aluminum.

cke, CAXPT, beastr123 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. broke down plumber

broke down plumber Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2024
    Seems a diesel gen would be a little more practical , a yanmar for instance which i have on my service truck nearly 10yrs starts everytime .

6. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    I've looked all over for one, no joy.

broke down plumber Thanks this.
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    I'll pass.
    4x the price
    25db louder
    80lb heaver

Diesel Dave and beastr123 Thank this.
  8. broke down plumber

Jan 25, 2024
    10x more dependable

9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    if my generator break for any reason in the first 2 years it's replaced not repaired for free... takes 15min to drain the fuel take it off the truck (it's light enough I can do it by myself) 30min to take it in the store show them the receipt and walk out with a new one in the box, 15min to reinstall it... 1hr start to finish.

And its still much much quiter than yours. I've had driver's that were parked next to me ask if my generator was running all nite because they saw the light on but could hear it..

10. broke down plumber

Jan 25, 2024
    i respect that , but , if im making money with it i want the best i can afford . Yes they are more expensive and a little heavier its air cooled so not terribly heavy . Good luck on whatever you get .

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.