Heading For Little Rock! Maverick

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by JimTheHut, Feb 2, 2010.

1. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Glad I could help!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. KCJ

KCJ Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Jim- thanks for the informative post. Keep up the good work. Talk to you soon. Be safe!:biggrin_255:

4. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Will Do! They drill safety into your head here!

Thanks!

Jim

5. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Jim, glad your doing well. Thought maybe they had lost you in a snow drift or something:biggrin_2559:

Good to hear you made the grade. I almost called Mav to see if they would take me back, but decided to try for a outfit that has a terminal closer to home. I really, really, really don't want to ever travel on another Grayhound bus, if I can possibly help it!

Did the send you out to Ft. Smith for any training? That's where we did our last few days training, then we went back to NLR to wait for trainers (one guy got picked up in Ft Smith).

I really did enjoy what little time I spent with Mav, my trainer was top notch.

Keep us posted, when you are able to.

Jim F

6. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    I do not think that we will be leaving for any other place for training.
    We tarped our first load today! It was really neat! Tarping is your signature of your pride in your work! Maverick has some of the nicest tarp jobs out there!
    This past week feels like it has been a month! But a very good month!
    The instructors here are excellent! They really care about you and want to make sure that you can do what is required!

THD, Ops85, MtDewMan and 3 others Thank this.
  7. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Just wanted to add my best wishes and congratulations. It's also nice to hear someone genuinely excited about a new job.

Stay safe!

8. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

Thank you! I really am thrilled to be here. It is fascinating to me how to secure all of these loads and make them safe. I know there will be times when the weather is horrible, but I know I will take it as the challenge that it is!
    I had been in sales and management for 35 years and always had to listen to people moaning and groaning about everything. Now I can walk away and pay them no mind because it will not affect me doing my job!

I will say also that the group of guys that are here are pretty sharp and a good group of guys. I think I am the oldest!....but I get the senior discounts, so I do not care! lol

God Bless!

MtDewMan, JustSonny and dollylama Thank this.
  9. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    You made it 33 years longer in management than I did! 2 years between trucking stints was enough for me to know that I was not put on this earth to say "Get off the phone and help that customer please" 47 times a day!:biggrin_25514:

10. JimTheHut

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    You still hear the moaning and groaning...alot on here as well...but as I said, you just walk away and ignore it and be thankful for what you have!

JustSonny Thanks this.
  11. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Now, Jim, don't be getting that attitude "nyah, nyah, my company is better than your company" :biggrin_2559:
    I was taught tarping by the owner of a small local outfit I drove for years ago, and I'll wager he could have shown the Mav. instructors a think or 2.

However, the Mav people are top notch, and do take pride in their work.

One note of caution, in case you are ever tempted to cut corners with your tarping (I know you'd never do that regarding securing, though it does happen), if you get routed through NLR on a load, and decide to overnight at the terminal, your load will be eyeballed, and if not up to snuff, you'll be correcting it.

They used to run the class out to Ft. Smith for a couple of days training, perhaps they've cut that out of the program.

Does Mav still ahve a covered wagon group? They did when I was there, but they only ran in the upper mid states. Might be available in your area. If it is, you might want to give it a try. Running a covered wagon (a flat with a side kit and a tarp cover) is a bit easier, but a bit dirtier, than a flatbed. You secure the load like a flat, but then just pull the cover over the bows and secure it with bungees.

Anyway, keep the positive attitude, especially during you 1st couple of years, and you'll do great.

Jim F

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.