heading out to crst

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Gman1234, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Gman1234

Gman1234 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Passed my road test and headed to orientation!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Turdzthaword

Turdzthaword Light Load Member

Aug 30, 2020
    Reading this thread is taking back to my 2014 refresher course with CRST/Hawkeye Community College. CRST was the only company who'd offer me a refresher out of the Ft Pierce Florida area, so I'd taken it because I needed the experience. I was all nerves during the training, but I eventually made it through orientation and the additional 4 weeks out with the trainer. The fear of not knowing used to cause me more anxiety than it should've back in those days, so I wanted to tell you to not sweat the small things... and don't volunteer information to members of dispatch.
    You're not really privy to how much of your hard earned blood and sweat they're cheating you out until you've learned a bit more about this industry. They didnt pay for tolls; they'd require you to take out an advance to pay a lumper via comcheck; they automatically signed you up for the per diem program; They split the miles traveled down the middle between you and your co-driver; They'd opt for the drivers to unload the truck whenever it seemed to be the cheaper alternative; They didnt paid hub miles for loaded and deadhead; They required drivers to stay out 28 days at a time until completing the contracts; they would never want to pay drivers detention for waiting over an 2 hours though they were getting money as soon as their equipment touched the dock; They made you wait an extra day before paying you for breakdown; etc. It'd piss one off thinking about how much money one wasn't making, but I did need the EXPERIENCE .

Let us know about your experiences OTR, fam.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  4. Gman1234

Gman1234 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2020

Already had to change trainers and waiting for another one. Trainer was absolutely god awful unbearable. Never slept and sat in the passenger seat as much as possible, insults the student, intense uncomfortable personal conversation, unwanted advances, never let me get miles because they'd be afraid I'd get fatigued and kill them in an accident or ruin their lease truck. All kind of nonsense. Bad first experience driving with another person but I am confident the next trainer will be much better

Lonesome Thanks this.
  5. Turdzthaword

Aug 30, 2020
    Was extremely uncomfortable with my trainer too, Gman. The trainer had IBS, so he had me stop at the Texas/New Mexico border on i-10 in order for him to s××× in a bucket between the truck and trailer. You'll end up with crazier stories as time passes. @ the unwanted advances

6. Gman1234

Gman1234 Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2020
    Ah ####. Well, any particular advice on handling weird trainers and co drivers? A condition like ibs is beyond their control so it's all good. But the mental behavioral with these people I'm a little concerned about

7. Turdzthaword

Aug 30, 2020
    You'd think that having a condition like IBS would humble a man, but he was as rotten on the outside as he was on the inside (no homo).
    Forgot to mention that he got mad that I wanted to stop @ a Petro on i-10 in El Paso, but urged me to stop a couple minutes later so that he could s*** on the shoulder. It was poetic justice

Had to switch co-drivers 4 times within an 8 month period while employed with CRST during those 9 months. Hopefully you get a co-driver who is willing to run as soon as your shift is over. Build a healthy level of communication with your co-driver to make sure the two of you are on the same page.
    Get that money.

Gman1234 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.