Heading to Boyd

Discussion in 'Boyd' started by Poa Triv, Mar 17, 2012.

1. OkieOFT

OkieOFT Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2012
    So i'm here in Birmingham, after a long roadtrip from Poteau, OK. When I arrived at the Fort Smith, AR Greyhound terminal I was told that the bus I was supposed to ride on was overbooked and the only other way to get here would be a 20 hour route through Shreveport, LA including nearly 6 hours of layover time. A bus stop is not a place I want to spend 6 hours in, not to mention arriving at midnight on Monday morning would limit me to about 4 hours of sleep. So, my wife and I booked it back to the house, packed her a bag and hightailed it to Birmingham ourselves. Hopefully Boyd can get their money back for the ticket and maybe reimburse me for my fuel costs. We made it here in just a bit more time than I would have been sitting in Shreveport waiting on another bus.

That wasn't really a rant about Boyd, more about Greyhound and how I don't know how the heck they are still in business. There was another guy at the Fort Smith terminal that had to drive up to Texas to pick his wife up because for some reason they could not take her any farther unless she waited there for 12+ hours.

Anyways, anyone else here at the Quality Inn for 12/17/12 orientation? I noticed a nice blue Boyd Prostar sitting in the back parking lot, the only Boyd truck I have seen in 500+ miles of interstate driving. At least I get to have my car here, and my wife for a few more days before hopefully heading out on the road. Unless Boyd sends me packing for some reason.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Poa Triv

Poa Triv Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to the family. I hope all goes well for you.

When i did orientation, I flew down and got reimbursed. I would like to tthink that they will pay u the coast of the bus ticket. That's what I got.

For the most part, as long as you were truthful in your application and pass the pee test, then by Thursday you will be oofficially hired.

4. OkieOFT

OkieOFT Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Welp got sent home first day because my pulse rate and blood pressure were too high. Prior to yesterday I had never had a problem any of that. I guess busting ### everyday on a drilling rig for the past four years just isn't laborious enough compared to throwing some light (Compared to things i'm used to carrying) tarps around. They wouldn't even let me attempt the agility test. At least they reimbursed me for my travel expenses.

5. HighFive

HighFive Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Failing the blood pressure test or agility test will get you sent home. If you smoke, don't smoke in the morning when you due for the test. Also, don't drink coffee.

6. tbrotherton79

tbrotherton79 Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Barbourville,KY
    What was your blood pressure? I have high blood pressure but it is controlled my meds. I have orientation on Monday 1/21/2013, and i havent mentioned anything to them about my HBP meds yet, mainly because i wasnt asked.. You folks reckon I should just keep it hush hush or tell them?

My BP isnt way out of whack w/o the meds usually about 142/94 somewhere in that area generally on the border of pre-hypertension and hypertension nonetheless.

7. HighFive

HighFive Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Richmond, Va
    Hey tbrotherton79, did you managed to pass the high blood pressure test? I was there in Birmingham, I probably saw you.

8. tbrotherton79

tbrotherton79 Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Barbourville,KY
    Yes, I did pass but only got a 1 year card due to the fact that I am on blood pressure meds. Im at the cincy terminal, but if you took part in that video conference Then I guarantee you sean my ugly mug. :) I am leaving out with my trainer this morning and am nervous as hell

9. Poa Triv

Poa Triv Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Wisconsin
    So almost a year later and I'm still here. I wasn't sure how long I'd stay but Boyd has grown on me. I have no complaints in the last year. They get me home when I need to fir emergencies. They take good care of the drivers. I'm glad I came here

10. thewifey

thewifey Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2013
    I am glad to hear of the positive outlooks on the boyd family. My husband is a L/O with them and we have had nothing but positive things to say about them. His fleet manager is amazing, even as a company man he was often home almost every weekend, making over 2000 miles a week. They are set up to help you every step of the way. Health insurance is amazing as well. My husband L/O a 2009 Internation Prostar. His truck is far from "pulled out of hell" His company truck was a 2012. We came from a different company and were very concerned this would be another disaster for us. His truck has alittle over 300,000 miles on it. Out of the L/P leases we looked into this has been one of the best. I do like that they do not allow you to lease until you have shown you can drive the miles needed to afford the truck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.