Heading to oreientation for "Good News Trucking Corp." Will Update Regularly

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by dustin4841, Oct 28, 2017.

1. dustin4841

dustin4841 Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Suffolk
    A little update on pay. Here is my most recent settlement. They break it down to what I'm being paid by both mileage and percentage, depending on how each week goes I get paid whichever is higher. I took off from Christmas Eve until January 7th and I enjoyed that time at home very much. So since January 7th (7 or 8 days depending on where the cut off billing) I did enough loads legally (even with this stupid new ELD) to being home over $3800 bucks. I had them payout 2k today and leave the remaining 1700 bucks in there as I enjoy a little money at the end of the month when I'm taking my week off. I really really thought I'd have a ton bad to say about this experience when I decided to sign on but as of right now all I could ask for would be slightly better trucks. These old Walmart trucks are pretty well take care of but they're aging and I miss driving the newwer trucks, then again if the trucks were new the money probably wouldn't be anywhere near as good so I'm content. Screenshot_20180115-184705.jpg Screenshot_20180115-184715.jpg

mladen86, Rugerfan, baha and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    We're into tax time, how goes the good news?

4. dustin4841

Dec 11, 2012
    Suffolk
    Good this year since I was only there a few months. I got a minimal return 200 from State 400 from Federal so I'll have to watch real carefully over the next few months and I'll probably do quarterly payments just to be sure

baha Thanks this.
  5. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Are you making estimated payments then? As far as I'm aware there's penalties for paying yearly.

dustin4841 Thanks this.
  6. dustin4841

Dec 11, 2012
    Suffolk
    Correct I've got my accountant keeping track of everything and I'm making the minimum estimated payment that we can come up with because obviously I'm still going to have a lot of expenses being out on the road so I #### sure don't want to overpay

7. dustin4841

Dec 11, 2012
    Suffolk
    Stupid tax man

baha, nightgunner and xsetra Thank this.
  8. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    How's the Good News? I saw a 1099 thread and remembered this one.

9. dustin4841

Dec 11, 2012
    Suffolk
    Everything has been good for the most part. No major complaints from me. Apparently I don't get notifications for this thread anymore just happened to log in tonight. Pay is everything they promised it would be and more. I've never made less than $1800 a week and have done well over that several times. I was just bumped from 40% to 43% of the trucks profit. I've had one major mishap a few weeks ago when I destroyed a Conestoga trailer during unloading lol, place I had to back into required me to park jack knifed. I had a load of granite on A frames and when they took one side off the weight on the other side forced the 5th wheel to pivot down which shifted the weight of the trailer to the right which then caused the granite to fall over that sidde, it caught one edge of the Conestoga and destrpdes it. Learned that one the hard way, took a $2000 hit to cover the deductible. (Photos attached for your daily laugh) Other than that, life is good. I've made $42k since starting with them November 1st. $30,623 of that since January. So the money is insane, but for the first time as a 1099 contractor I am truly fearing tax season next year. I am meticulously tracking all expenses to try and ease the pain. Also making quartley payments based on advice from my account so hopefihop I won't owe anything when it's all said and done.

Attached Files:

10. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Those pics are awesome. Good luck with Good News.

dustin4841 and Smut Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Hang in there best of luck to you.

I don't laugh at pictures like that, they tell me a story of how a load can and will get away from you.

What a mess. You would think those Congas are easy fix relatively speaking. I hauled covered wagons, specifically Ravens which are nothing but little aluminum posts and foam panels, easily replaced should something come off the deck.

dustin4841 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.