Heading to orientation soon.. What to bring??

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by CMFlex, Mar 26, 2024.

1. CMFlex

CMFlex Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2024
    North NJ
    As the title states, I'll be heading to Richmond VA for Western express flatbed division training. Aside from the non-negotiable like toiletries and such, anything I should make note of bringing?

A couple things I listed:

- flashlight
    - steel toes
    - work gloves
    - nail brush
    - thermals
    - wool socks

Anything else you guys reckon I bring? How many sets of clothing? I dont want to under or overpack.

TIA. God bless. Please forgive me if not right forum.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TX2Day

TX2Day Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2023
    Texas
    Western didn't give you a list of items to bring?

4. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Probably the MAIN THING you will end up needing is a truly GOOD TRAINER....o_O

-- L

5. CMFlex

CMFlex Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2024
    North NJ
    Sure, a vague one.

6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Up your game: take AT LEAST one flashlight that is:
    • magnetic
    • rechargeable
    • rotating/pivoting bulb head
    • LED
    • AT LEAST 450 lumens -- more is of course, better
    Why?

You will attach the magnetic part to the side of your trailer or on the DOT bumper -- so you can see what you are really doing -- while backing into dark/poorly lit spaces (of which there will likely be plenty).

Bonus points: if you have one for each side of the trailer/bumper.

-- L

7. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Make sure whatever shoes/boots you bring are:
    • slip resistant
    • oil resistant
    Your carrier SHOULD furnish you with a set of ice/snow cleats. Inquire within to verify.

-- L

8. TX2Day

TX2Day Medium Load Member

Apr 24, 2023
    Texas
    Well okay.....
    More shirts then pants. Soon you won't worry about being cold, you will be sweating. Bring some Dude Wipes or wipes used for bed ridden patients. You are going to want to get cooled down and cleaned up before you drive until the end of the day and a shower will not always be available. I pack 3 jeans, 7 T shirts and 3 long sleeve shirts 1 hoodie, a down vest and a beanie cap. For 7 days out. But, I am a polar bear and rarely get cold anywhere. I do carry insulated coveralls just in case. Put all this in a soft duffle so you can use it for a pillow. Then you have to decide if you are going to bring a sleeping bag or sheets and a blanket. That would depend on how you are getting to orientation.

I also use pods for laundry so you might want to put some of those in a crush proof container in your gear. Laundry soap in a truck stop is stupid expensive.

Bring cash and your debit card. It is expensive eating on the road. If your trainer has a refrigerator he/she will share buy lunch meats and bread instead of truck stop food. Increase your water intake no matter what the outside temp.

Take notes, ask questions and pay attention. Never hesitate to ask another flatbedder how to do something when you go solo.

If you have a hard hat now, I would bring it. I doubt Western will give you one for free. Same for a safety vest.

I'm sure a Western driver will pop in and add to the conversation.

Oh, have fun!

9. CMFlex

CMFlex Bobtail Member

Mar 8, 2024
    North NJ
    Thanks much. I'll be getting to orientation via bus. What would be best in that case scenario and why?

@bryan21384 Do you have any suggestions?

10. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Outside of durable clothing and a good set of boots, make sure you have a couple of long sleeve shirts. Some places you go to will require long sleeves for whatever reason. For orientation just have some clothes and boots. Once you get your own truck, then you'll be able to stock up with tools, gorilla tape, tarp repair kit, and extra bungee cords.

11. hope not dumb twucker

hope not dumb twucker Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2022
    That’s a lot right there. Good trainer.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.