Heads Up: Bridge Law Enforcement

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Lilbit, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    i love my anual permit. everytime i get stopped in fla for the bridge law, just whip out my yellow paper and wave goodbye.

Lilbit Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    i love my fixed tri-axle trailer good luck getting me over axle with that

4. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Not meaning to pick a point to badly, but if he was 10 inches "over" that is not a bridge law problem but a "kingpin to rear axle" problem. The bridge law is designed to keep axle weights spread out and is weight dependent and there is no such thing as having too much distance between axles under the B/L. "Kingpin to rear axle" laws are there to limit off tracking in turns and curves and are not weight dependent. Two different animals and it is important to know how both affect a driver and the length trailer being pulled.

5. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    looking like im leaving the van world just in time lol

American Trucker

volvodriver01 and Lilbit Thank this.
  6. Tazz

Tazz Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Lynchburg,Tn
    Pa, and Jersey were getting them last week. Watch your tire ratings in Fl when you hear that 44,000 number. They will check max load (usually 5200 +/-) x 4 tires is your max up to 44,000

Check the page in ghe front of your map and make sure your loded to be legal i n all the jurisdictions you cross. Oh yeah MD will get you for being to" short" as well.

7. gravelhauler

gravelhauler Medium Load Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Lake Charles, La

Not saying they don't enforce it but in 14 yrs I've never been bothered in Louisiana with the bridge law. It might be one of those things that they'll check if they're really hellbent on writing you up for something.

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    They have signs up about it.

9. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    North Carolina will let you have 38K on the trailer.

I got measured in Maryland on I-68 for being too short! They have a per centage formula for overhang and king pin depth, I was 7/10's of one per cent under the reg, so they let me go!

10. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi

They're like anyone else for the most part. Limited enforcement, unless they need the funds.

We had several hit when I was with CFI years ago. Then it just dropped off.

11. andre

andre Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Florida is really finicky about the bridge law. They have measuring sticks at all the scalehouses on the interstates. They want your trailer tandems way up front.

They don't seem to care much about axle weight, tho (I think its 44k on the drives or something like that, and you can buy a Florida only permit that gives you an extra 2k to play with on any axle for $29.95 - honest, it's actually $29.95).

And the scalehouses on the interstates never seem to be closed, unless the Florida Georgia game is on...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.