Health question from the Super Pros

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by hopeful eyes, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Lumper Humper

Lumper Humper Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2018
    Colorado Springs, CO
    You’re just a regular pro.

hopeful eyes Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scoot 1971

Scoot 1971 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2018
    I only have 8 1/2 years in but will answer anyway. Otr is what you make it, almost all truckstops have healthy choices for food. Usually you can get by a truck friendly walmart or grocery store and buy good stuff. There are many small cooking appliances that will work in a truck either off of 12 volt or plug in to an outlet if truck is so equipped. Lots of newer trucks have r/v style small refrigerators or you could carry a 12 volt cooler or a standard camping type cooler requiring ice.
    On the active side, you are only limited to your imagination and lack of laziness.
    I eat relatively healthy as I cook most of my own meals, but I also enjoy roller dogs, pizza and fast food every couple days or so.
    The one rule I have as far as daily activity, is at least do a 30 minute walk or the equivalent as far as physical exertion. I do push ups and the like in grassy areas of rest areas as well as other exercises such as jump squats. I saw a guy doing deep knee lunges with dumbbells at a rest area just this morning.
    The point is, you can eat as healthy or unhealthy as you want, and you can choose to be physically active or not.

hopeful eyes Thanks this.
  4. BUMBACLADWAR

BUMBACLADWAR Road Train Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Well, 6 hours of sleep will make you old.Drinking lots of water will make you late for your appointments. And I cant run in these "flip flops". Lol

5. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
  6. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I try to exercise every time I stop. I do my best to do this, I even bought a folding bike that I keep on the top bunk to go explore some places where I stop. Just the other day I rode to a KOA campground. OMG the smells there.....I had to ride away from some #### good smelling bbq. But I walk or jog all the time. I'm usually the only one I see at truck stops doing this. I even have a special pair of shoes that I wear for jogging.

hopeful eyes and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  7. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Real truckers wear Crocs. Flip the strap down for 4 wheel drive mode if you need to run.

8. TJB15

TJB15 Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I have driven full time for 22 years. I have found that if all you do is walk to the back of trailer to open doors eventually that starts to feel like alot. It is easy to become complacent and not do any more than necessary. I feel that applies to anyone anywhere though. I recommend walking as much as possible and definitely stretching consistently. Any kind of open deck work or anything that requires you to get up and move helps alot. It sucks at the time but I have found that overall I feel better I especially notice it when I get home and try to work around the house. I did develop carpal tunnel in my right hand but could just be my wrists suck not sure. I feel that no matter your job you either use it or lose it to some extent. I will say overall I don't feel trucking is all that hard on you if you pay attention to your daily level of activit. I know some guys my age that do masonry work that don't seem to stand up too straight anymore.

hopeful eyes and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  9. silverspur

silverspur Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Palmetto Parkway Bikepath, North Augusta SC.

Park at the Shell Truck stop I-20 exit 5 and the entrance to the bike path is about a mile away, right next to the North Augusta DMV office. There is a sidewalk that can be used to get there.

I saw it yesterday, Google Earthed it and it runs parallel to I-520.

Looks like a fun ride.

drivingmissdaisy Thanks this.
  10. Tonythetruckerdude

Tonythetruckerdude Crusty Deer Slayer

Dec 8, 2012
    hunting...../ retired
    I’m 74 , I retired from trucking in 2011. I drove for a company named GSF for 33 years. That was doing food service delivery.

that’s a pretty physical type of trucking. I’m lucky never had any really bad health issues.

health is relative to each individual.

11. tarmadilo

tarmadilo Road Train Member

Dec 12, 2018
    Your left arm is going to absorb a lot of sunlight. Wear sunscreen! This is a picture of my left arm, the nice scar in the middle is where they removed a melanoma.

Attached Files:

hopeful eyes and Redtwin Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.