Healthy eating while on the road

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jslaven, Jul 22, 2020.

1. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    Gaining weight is all about not spiking your blood sugar. Most guys eat all day even if semi healthy and yes coffee creamer and even splenda spikes your blood sugar. Thats the reason having like a 4-6 hour only eating window works so well. Worst thing is eating a delicious greasy burger and fries then hopping into your bunk lol So tempting but deadly

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Rice is one of the ok grains in moderation. As far as a good freezer. Look at the Dometic CF18. 12 VOLT, compressor driven. Freezes stuff hard as a rock.

4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Yep that's how i do it. Have one big meal in the evening. Never been one for breakfast either. Not hungry when i wake up. Almonds, cashews, trail mix apple and a banana

5. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    all those things are good quality snacks its the mcdonalds 3 times a day with snicker bar snacks that get you

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  6. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    I am no stranger to junk food and fast food. I love all of that crap. As I have mentioned before, I am 60 years old and 5'8" tall on a good day! Lol. I was up to around 190 lbs. In other words......Fat. I have lost about 13-14 lbs in the last 5 weeks. I really need to get to 160-165. I figure by the middle of September, I should be there. I will add some carbs back into my life. Just don't need 80% of my caloric intake to be carbs and processed/ junk/fast food.

akfisher Thanks this.
  7. Six9GS

Six9GS Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Yuma, AZ
    I've lost 45 lbs. since I started just under a year ago. My first month I was out with a mentor and lost about 10 lbs. from the stress. Second month, which was my first month solo, lost about another 10 lbs. from the stress. After that stress levels started going down and becoming manageable, but decided to try to continue to lose weight.
    My 'recipe' isn't complicated or organized. But, it is working. First off, while driving, I have cheese and peanut butter crackers and beef jerky within reach. I have weird stomach issues and those orange cheese and peanut butter crackers, for whatever reason, have always really helped keep my stomach problems from bothering me. Beef jerky holds off hunger for quite awhile and is easy to hold and eat while driving.
    Otherwise, it is just trying to avoid greasy fat food and most importantly portion control. I do try and eat some breakfast, because it seems having a breakfast makes it easier to not pig out later in the day. I usually eat my main meal at lunch. Sometimes I'll have a burger. But, JUST a burger. No fries and personally, I don't like cheese on my hamburgers anyway. I like Arby's and will get just a classic roast beef sandwich. Once again, no fries, but, maybe a side salad. Speaking of salads, many truck stops do have prepared salads and other things like a regular sandwich. If I do get something like fried chicken, I only eat the chicken meat and not the crust. I also like BLTs at restaurants if a Denny or Country Pride is there. Combine that with a small bowl of soup! If I get a burrito bowl at Q'boda or so,nothing like that. I DO NOT eat it all. Usually end up throwing most of it away, which is why I avoid those places. But, not eating a large meal is becoming a habit that seems to be working. For dinner, it is common I have a bowl of oatmeal. I like those pre made oatmeal bowls you just add hot water to. Surprisingly, that usually satiates my hunger for the evening and night. Plus it is somewhat healthy.
    Also, I try not to drink my calories. I do put sugar in my coffee. I get a large cup of coffee in the morning. Sometimes I'll have a small Red Bull in the early afternoon if I need a caffeine/sugar boost. Otherwise, I drink water!!! Personally, I like Desani. My brother-in-law works for Coke a Cola, so it kinda a family thing. But, never had a Desani that tasted yucky. Can't say that for other water brands. I haven't had a soda in months!
    Recently, I bought a 54 qt. portable freezer. So, I now keep it stocked with frozen dinners and such. Actually not a bad way to help maintain calorie discipline. Most frozen dinners have about the right amount of calories.
    Like I said, it is not organized or complicated. I don't drink my calories (just a few), I do not eat large meals and I try to eat my biggest meal at lunch and have a 'meager' dinner. Seems when I eat has much to do with weigh loss. And, although I do get food at truck stops, I avoid really greasy fatty foods, better options are usually available, and I don't pig out when I get served portions that are simply way too much. I only eat a reasonable amount, even if the rest does get wasted.
    With that, since the beginning of last October, I have gone from weighing 235 lbs. to just under 190 lbs. I still desire to get down to 165 lbs.

Wasted Thyme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.